Notepad is known to every Windows user. It is a simple text editor which has been part of Microsoft Windows operating system since Windows 1.0 in 1985 [wikipedia]. It has remained the same in the ever-evolving Windows operating system but its users have found new ways to use good old notepads in a more productive and effective manner. Here goes:
1. Notepad as your Digital Diary You can use Notepad as a digital diary and automatically insert date-time information for every line you type in notepad. Open a new notepad file (Click Start > Run, type Notepad and hit OK) and type .LOG at the top of the notepad file.
Now type a few lines and close the Notepad file. Open the notepad file and you will see date time information added to each line of text in your Notepad file. You can also add this information manually, just hit the F5 key where you want to insert date-time information.
2. Notepad as HTML Stripper Ideally text on webpages is formatted for specific font type, color, size along with other CSS design elements and images. You can rip off text only from any webpage using notepad. Just select and copy text from any webpage and paste into a notepad file which can be saved (without any formatting baggage) for future use.
3. Notepad as Printing cost saver Notepad can come in handy when you are printing text-laden pages in large quantities. Extending the concept of using Notepad as an HTML stripper, you can strip webpages of additional formatting and image using notepad and print more with less usage of ink, paper and money (of course).
4. Notepad as HTML webpage creator Notepad can be used to create your first HTML webpage as a stepping stone in the world of webpages (and websites). Just type basic HTML tags and save the file with .html extension.
5. Notepad as Good and Evil script creator Notepad is a very simple text editor which can be used to create the complex script. You can create evil scripts like the format of hard drive to useful scripts like PC shutdown, which can be executed with a click of a button.
6. Notepad as Text Replacer You can use notepad to replace the word(s) in essay of text. For example, you want to replace Microsoft’ with Yahoo’ in a specific text file. Copy the text into a notepad file and use Ctrl + H (or Edit > Replace), enter Microsoft in the first text field and Yahoo in the second text field and click the replace button.
7. Notepad as Window Explorer Skipper Sometimes specific files cannot be deleted. You can try notepad to skip and bypass Windows Explorer to delete such files. Open Notepad, GOTO File > Open. Select all files in the file type dropdown menu. Now browse to the folder and right-click on the file you want to remove and click the delete option. Sometimes, this might come in handy!
8. Notepad as Fun app Notepad isn’t that simple and has its share of flaws. Open Notepad and type this app can break and then save the file. Open the file and see for yourself notepad just broke something!
9. Notepad as a creative designer tool Notepad can break things (i.e. text) sometimes but it can also create some impressive text-based designs. To open your notepad, type Q33N and then format font size 72px, font type WingDings. See the screenshot below, 9/11 plan crash remember?
Besides, you can see more creative text designs made in notepad while downloading serial key crack files they usually have big graffiti made in notepad, seen those?
10. Notepad as ??? Now its your chance to put simple good old notepad to some creative use. You might discover a few new and interesting uses of Notepad. Found one? Why not share with use by adding a comment.
This is a Birthday Bash post written by Davinder Techno Life @ tothepc who also contributes to TechF5 Refreshing Tech with the latest technology ramblings, tips, tricks, software and web app reviews.