WordPress 2.6 has been released today almost a month ahead of the schedule release date. This version is code named Tyner. There are several new features included in this release which include.
If you are looking for a detailed introduction to WordPress 2.6, visit the post I wrote at Web Log Tools Collection, where I detail WordPress 2.6 features.
You can also learn about the latest features included in WordPress 2.6 by watching the video created by the WordPress development team.
Features Included in WordPress 2.6 includes
- Post Revisions: Wiki-like tracking of edits.
- Press This!: Tumblr like posting for WordPress.
- Introduction of Google Gears for speeding up of Admin Panel.
- Theme Previews allows you to preview themes in the background.
- Word count! Never guess how many words are in your post anymore.
- Image captions, so you can add sweet captions under your images.
- Bulk management of plugins.
- A completely revamped image control to allow for easier inserting, floating, and resizing. It’s now fully integrated with the WYSIWYG.
- Drag-and-drop reordering of Galleries.
- Plugin update notification bubble.
- Customizable default avatars.
- You can now upload media when in full-screen mode.
- Remote publishing via XML-RPC and APP is now secure (off) by default, but you can turn it on easily through the options screen.
- Full SSL support in the core, and the ability to force SSL for security.
- You can now have many thousands of pages or categories with no interface issues.
- Ability to move your
wp-contentdirectories to a custom location, for cleanSVN checkouts.
- Select a range of checkboxes with shift-click.
- You can toggle between the Flash uploader and the classic one.
- A number of proactive security enhancements, including cookies and database interactions.
- Stronger better faster versions of TinyMCE, jQuery, and jQuery UI.