Phew couple of more major bugs and other minor bugs have been fixed for the WordPress Automatic Upgrade Plugin and this release version 0.5 is pretty much stable and should work on 95% of the blogs.Previously it wasn’t working for 30% of users due to a server issue. Thanks to Robert Morse for first of all reporting the bugs like many of you did, but also a super thanks to him for providing me with a identical system where I could run the tests and fix the bugs. Thanks to Robert I have been able to fix the most major bug and release the new version.
Couple of other bug fixes and once again thanks to again the feedbacks from all of you.
Sometimes all plugins were not re-activating after running the final step (specially the DoFollow plugin) which has now been fixed. The issue with some plugins is that they try to run their function when WPAU activates them even though they are deactivated. You can check more about that issue on the post from Just Thinkin which has my reply about the issue.
With the new version it will take a wee bit longer to re-activate your plugins as it checks if a plugin throws up any errors while re-activating with WPAU.
Note: If a plugin does not reactivate with WPAU it does not mean that there is some problem with it, it is only because of some programmatically error which breaks the re-activation only with WPAU. You can always re-activate the failed plugins using the regular plugin page.
Another change is that the automatic option will not re-activate the plugins, you will have to click the link PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR PLUGINS after running automatic version to re-activate your plugins. The link will be shown below the automatic progress bar once upgrade has complete, please click on the upgrade db link before you can run plugin re-activation in case WordPress has some database upgrades.
Finally The plugins that could not be activated will be shown in the logs, you will have to re-activate those plugins manually.
Other than that fixed a issue where WPAU was allowing to continue even when some errors were there. Now WPAU will not be able to continue when there are errors.
That’s it head below to read release notes and updates.
On other serious note hold back till this weekend I am releasing another plugin which hopefully many of you will like so keep checking back on the blog for the latest plugin.
To do a new installation of the plugin, please follow these steps
- Download the wordpress-automatic-upgrade.zip file to your local machine.
- Unzip the file
wordpress-automatic-upgradefolder to the
- Activate the plugin through the Plugins’ menu in WordPress
If you have already installed the plugin
- De-activate the plugin
- Download the latest files
- Follow the new installation steps
- Version 0.1 released Tuesday, July 17th 2007
- Version 0.4 released Thursday, July 26th 2007
1. Added a prelim check before starting the process to check whether or not we can write files to the server
2. Checks if previous version files were not cleared
3. If we cannot write the files to server asking user for ftp credentials so that we can make the permission changes
4. Fixed bug where task status was not reported on error thus showing a db error to the user
5. Fixed a bug where open_basedir restriction is on for a website hosted as virtual folder
- Version 0.5 released Wednesday, August 8th 2007.
1. Fixed bugs where user had a www folder with full write permissions but the public_html folder was not writable.
2. Fixed issue where while writing there were ftp errors while creating backup directory but still plugin said all ready to go
3. Fixed issue where plugins were not activating even if one plugin threw an error.
4. Fixed other issues with html and reporting
All files and their contents are licensed under the General Public License(GPL).
If you feel this plugin has helped you can leave a small donation towards further plugin development.
Download WordPress Automatic Upgrade Latest Version downloaded times
Yipeee!!! This plugin will get out beta and turn into a stable plugin soon. I have covered almost 95% of systems than can be upgraded to the latest versions with this plugin it may still have some bugs but I can release it as a stable version in next release. If you find any bugs or want to report any problems you have faced please feel free to leave your comments or you can send me a email at [email protected]