Microsoft has announced the release and general availability of the Windows Azure Toolkit for Windows Phone 7. This toolkit is designed to make it easier for phone developers to leverage cloud services running in Windows Azure.
The toolkit includes Visual Studio project templates for Windows Phone 7 and Windows Azure, class libraries optimized for use on the phone, sample applications, and documentation.
The toolkit contains the following resources:
- Binaries – These libraries can be used in Windows Phone 7 applications to make it easier to work with Windows Azure (e.g. a full storage client library for blobs and tables).
- Docs – Documentation that covers setup and configuration, a review of the toolkit content, getting started, and some troubleshooting tips.
- Dependency Checker – Dependency checker to ensure that you have all the bits required in order to successfully use the toolkit.
- Project Templates – The VSIX (which is the unit of deployment for a Visual Studio 2010 Extension) files that create project templates that make it easy for you to build brand new applications.
- Samples – Sample application that fully leverages the toolkit, both available in C# and VB.NET.
The toolkit is available on CodePlex here. It is a work in progress, and additional capabilities and functionality would be up and coming.