Microsoft My Phone syncs personal information between your Windows phone and the web, enabling you to easily backup and restore your information (e.g., contacts, calendar appointments, tasks, text messages, photos, video, etc.) to a password-protected web site. With My Phone, you can access and manage the content on your phone from the web, and communicate and share that content with others.
Available programs, features, and functionality vary by: device, version of Windows Mobile software, mobile network provider, and availability of network connectivity and supporting technology (such as Exchange Server). Your mobile network provider may charge you to access Web services on your mobile device.
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows Mobile 6 Professional; Windows Mobile 6 Standard; Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional; Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard; Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional; Windows Mobile 6.5 Standard.
- My Phone comes preloaded on most Windows phones which have Windows Mobile 6.5, so no extra downloading is typically needed.
- Phones that use Windows Mobile 5.x may be able to access the My Phone service, but support (such as documentation and call-in help) is not available.
- A data plan is strongly recommended when using the service on your mobile phone to avoid unexpected data transmission charges from your mobile operator.
Sign up for the service by browsing to the My Phone Web site on your computer, and sign in using your Windows Live ID.
After you sign in, there are two ways to install My Phone:
- Click Send link to phone. You will receive a text message that includes a link to the installation file.
- Browse to http://myphone.microsoft.com/install into your mobile phone’s browser to download the software. You can also choose to download the appropriate .cab installer on your computer from here.
Microsoft does not charge a fee for using My Phone. However, My Phone’s Premium Features package (ring, lock, erase, and locate your lost phone) requires a small charge. However, your mobile operator may charge for data usage so please ensure that you have an appropriate data plan.
- The recommended (default) settings will synchronize your contacts, calendar appointments, tasks, photos, videos, text messages, songs, browser favorites and documents between your phone and your My Phone web account.
- If My Phone detects content already being managed by connections with Microsoft Exchange server or the Windows Live mobile application, My Phone will not duplicate the syncing of this content.
- To sync an external memory card, manual settings should be chosen during setup as memory cards are not synced using the recommended (default) settings.
- The My Phone service provides 200 MB of free storage on the My Phone web site. If you exceed this limit, your existing information will be saved and you will receive an error message advising you to delete some content in order to continue syncing.
- If you select the recommended settings, the service will automatically synchronize information between your mobile phone and web account daily between 11:00 P.M. and 5:00 A.M., except when your phone cannot connect to the data network such as when your phone is turned off, out of range, or roaming. You can also back up your data manually at any time by selecting Sync in the Microsoft My Phone application on your phone.
Although My Phone standard services are free, a Premium Features package is available to help you find and protect a lost phone. The Premium Features package is not a subscription service. You activate it from your My Phone account only after your phone is misplaced or stolen.
To activate the Premium Features package:
- Use your computer to sign in to My Phone.
- Go to Connected phones.
- Select Find your lost phone.
The package includes:
- Ring your phone (even if it is set to silent or vibrate)
- Map the current location of your phone (only available in the US)
- Lock your phone and post a message to its screen for the finder to read
- Erase your phone
The Premium Features package is free the first time that you use it. The cost is $4.99 USD (€4.89) per use and may vary by country. Currently, the Premium Features package is available in the following 21 countries/regions: Australia, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Mexico, the Netherlands, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Japan, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Singapore, Taiwan, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Click here to check the supported mobile operators for your country.