Microsoft has released the Beta 2 Refresh of Windows Phone SDK 7.1 (Mango) and also pushed and OS update for developer unlocked phones. Microsoft announced RTM of Mango update yesterday, however, this OS update is Build 7712 corresponding to the SDK release.
The latest beta includes the Twitter integration which was announced earlier but wasn’t available in the first beta release. The comprehensive integration touches all bases in Windows Phone.
- The integration is present in the Me tile, People Hub, Pictures hub, and Internet Explorer 9.
- The Me tile includes a new Notifications section that will alert you for ‘@ mentions’ on Twitter.
- The People Hub allows similar integration as is available with Facebook as yet. The People Hub now includes a filter to view updates from specific social network amongst Twitter, Facebook, and Windows Live.
- You can post pictures to Twitter from Pictures Hub. The photos are uploaded on Windows Live SkyDrive.
- In Internet Explorer 9, you can use the Share option to share the site opened with a comment on Twitter.
- Clever, this! The tweets posted from Windows Phone appear as ‘via WindowsLive’ on Twitter.
The Twitter integration is very solid, and for infrequent Twitter users, this might just do away with the need for a Twitter client. I couldn’t avoid nit-picking over the non-availability of a short URL for the images uploaded on Windows Live SkyDrive, although it gets shortened via Twitter’s own t.co by default. Also, there is no option to link Twitter contacts with existing Windows Live contacts. This is available for Facebook contacts, and I think might just be added for Twitter in the later build.