Sharing files with friends and family is not always a enjoyable process. You need to attach the files either into a email or to a web site that has file sharing capabilities and then email the link to your loved ones.
Now what if I do not have to upload any files anywhere but still share it with my friends and family, in short I want to just zap the files to them. You may be thinking how is it possible to do that. Well fear not with a wonderful service like Zapr it’s outright possible. You do not need to upload or download the files to any server.
What is Zapr?
Zapr is a desktop based application that allows you to create links to any files on your PC and share it with your friends and family by just sending the link to them. The file will not be uploaded to any servers and will be accessible directly only from your PC.
The PC based application allows you to share your local files and folders with your friends and also with groups and public sharing all without you having to upload any files.
To use Zapr you need to register an account with them, registering is really simple. Once you have registered you will get a link to download the desktop application.
The application looks similar to any IM client and you can easily use the Share options to share the files with your contacts. The contacts are the email address of the friends or family you want to share with, you can also create separate groups and share the files with the whole group at once.
What are the benefits?
Well you get many benefits while using Zapr.
- There are no restrictions on the size of the file. (Many web sites have limits on file size, and emails have attachment limits of 10 MB or 20 MB)
- You absolutely do not have to upload anything anywhere, or add any attachments. The only thing you need is the link to the file.
- No charge at all. Its as FREE as it can get.
- Complete control over privacy since you are not uploading anything no unauthorized users can access your information.
- Share with only whom you want to, or share a file public.
- Your friends and family do not need to download or install Zapr client, all they need is the url to the file.
And the downsides
Well every software however good it is, has its own limitations, here are few for Zapr
- All the bandwidth for file downloads is on you, so if you have a limited connection you pay extra charges if the downloads are in excess.
- You need to leave your computer on all the time or when you want to share the file.
- Internet connection has to be active for allowing files to be downloaded.
Even with its flaws I would be too happy to use it since I have a broadband and 24 hour Internet connections it should not be much of a problem to users. Learn more about how Zapr works.
You need to download the Zapr application to use on your local PC. The application will run on any Windows XP machine which has the .Net Framework 2.0 or higher installed and of course a Internet connection.
If you have been using any other such software’s or utilities do let me know through your comments.