Skype is a very popular instant messenger and P2P telephony software, widely used for its voice chat and PC-to-phone ability. However Skype does not run directly on a USB drive, making it essential to be installed everytime you want to use a different PC.
The Portable Freeware team have come up with a tutorial that will help you hack the default Skype setup and use it from a USB drive.
Steps To Run Skype From A USB Drive
- Download the latest version of Skype and install it. (Skype 1.4 and above only)
- Navigate to Program Files\Skypefolder, in this you will see three folders named Phone, Pictures and Wallpaper.
- Navigate to the folder named Phone and copy Skype.exe and paste to a separate folder on your portable drive.
- Create a folder named Datain the same folder you copied the earlier file to.
- Copy the Pictures and Wallpaper folder from Program Files\Skypeto the Skype folder on the portable drive.
- Create a new file with notepad and save it as skype.bat or runskype.bat, in the same folder where Skype.exe exists.
- Open the file created in step 6 and paste "Skype.exe /datapath:data /removable" into it without the quotes.
The next time you want to launch Skype, just double-click the bat file you created and you can start using Skype, without having to install it on every PC you use.
[via Portable Freeware]