Controversy is not something new to WikiLeaks – a website notorious for leaking sensitive governmental, corporate, organizational, or religious documents. In the past, they have leaked GuantÃ¡namo Bay procedures, documents belonging to the Church of Scientology, contents of Sarah Palin’s e-mail account and internet censorship lists.
Obviously, over the years WikiLeaks has managed to anger quite a few people, organizations and governments around the world. In fact, the US Army even considered attacking WikiLeaks in the past. According to The Register, a 2008 report by the Army Counterintelligence Center, classified Secret, called for a mole hunt and prosecutions to undermine potential sources’ trust in WikiLeaks.
Due to fundraising problems, WikiLeaks had to close shop for several months. However, it bounced back in February ’10 and is once again courting trouble. WikiLeaks has promised to reveal a Pentagon murder cover-up at the US National Press Club on April 5. Although, very little information is available about the nature of the information available to WikiLeaks, it is definitely sensitive enough to prompt the US government into action.
A flurry of recent updates on the official WikiLeaks Twitter account suggests that they are currently under an aggressive US and Icelandic surveillance operation. Here are the recent tweets by WikiLeaks in chronological order:
- WikiLeaks is currently under an aggressive US and Icelandic surveillance operation. Following/photographing/filming/detaining.
- If anything happens to us, you know why: it is our Apr 5 film. And you know who is responsible.
- Two under State Dep diplomatic cover followed our editor from Iceland to http://skup.no on Thursday.
- One related person was detained for 22 hours. Computer’s seized.That’s http://www.skup.no
- We know our possession of the decrypted airstrike video is now being discussed at the highest levels of US command.
- If you know more about the operations against us, contact https://secure.wikileaks.org/
- We have been shown secret photos of our production meetings and been asked specific questions during detention related to the airstrike.
- We have airline records of the State Dep/CIA tails. Don’t think you can get away with it. You cannot. This is WikiLeaks.
In the past, WikiLeaks has played a pivotal role in exposing wrongdoing. It has managed to remain true to its principle of only publishing documents of political, diplomatic, historical or ethical interest. Over the years, it has managed to gain both respect and reputation for making a positive impact.
At the moment, the big question is, did WikiLeaks byte off more than it can chew? It will be interesting to observe how events unfold over the next few days. Stay tuned for more updates.
Update: A possibly related slightly older tweet reveals a bit more about the current situation:
Finally cracked the encryption to US military video in which journalists, among others, are shot. Thanks to all who donated $/CPUs.