You’ve worked so hard to get ready for the big game! You have the chicken wings, cheese dip, and your favorite beverage. Throw in some decorations and good friends and you have all the makings of a great Super Bowl party! But wait! This is the 21st century. Everyone knows you need great apps to kick things up a notch, and I have just the thing to make you look like the smartest fan in the room! Here is my compilation of must have Super Bowl apps.
It seems only logical to start with the NFL’s official “Super Bowl XLVI Guide” to start off our list. This is a free app and is available for both Android and iPhone. The app connects you to the sites and sounds of the Super Bowl. You can get 3D interactive maps of the stadium and keep up with all the buzz. You can also use it to navigate your way around Indy if you’re there for the big game. [Download Android | Download iPhone]
If you want to take it to the next level, you might want to consider using the NFL’s Super Bowl XLVI Commemorative App Presented by NFL Magazine. This app is very inexpensive, currently priced at $2.99. It includes a lot of video and follows each team’s road the Super Bowl. You get Super Bowl history, NFL.com videos, and there will be bonus features after the game. Above, you can see some screenshots from the app. [Download Android | Download iPhone]
For the New England Patriots fan, the official New England Patriots app is a must have. This is a free app available in both Android and iPhone formats. Here is a list of features as quoted from the developer description:
- Latest Patriots.com news
- Live video press conferences
- Tons of audio and video
- Live in-game blog
- Game day information, including real time stats
- Game schedule
- Exclusive photo galleries, including cheerleaders
For the New York Giants fan, the official New York Giants app is also a must have. This too is a free app available for both Android and iPhone. Here are just a few of the items listed on their developer description:
- News: Real-time breaking news from the Giants, previews of upcoming matchups, post-game blogs
- Video: Video-on-demand clips of Giants’ press conferences, coach and player interviews
- Photos: Gallery of game-time action
- Audio: Podcasts
- Stats: Real-time statistics and scores from the official NFL stats engine, head-to-head stats of the Giants and their opponents, player stats, drive-by-drive stats, box score and out-of-town scores from around the league
- Standings: Division and conference standings
- Fantasy: Keep track of your favorite fantasy players
- Depth chart: Shown by offense, defense and special teams
- Social media: Aggregated Twitter of all of your favorite Giants tweeps, check in to the stadium on game-day, one-click tweet of all media items, one-click Facebook posting of all media items
Last, and certainly a very exciting entry to our list, is Shazam. Yep, you heard me right! Shazam, mostly known for its music discovery service, has announced a new service called Shazam for TV™, and will be offering a Super Bowl experience. If you use Shazam to listen in on your favorite Super Bowl ads, you could win one of more than a million giveaways. Here are some of the exciting giveaways mentioned on their website:
- Toyota – the ad will include a sweepstake to win two Camrys – one for you and one for a friend.
- Best Buy – Best Buy’s spot will feature two of Shazam’s founders. Additionally, Best Buy is running a $50 gift card offer for consumers looking to buy and activate a mobile phone in 2012.
- Cars.com – when viewers use Shazam to tag the ad, Cars.com will donate $1.00 to one of seven charities, up to a maximum $100,000.
- Pepsi – the new ad that features the winner of the X FACTOR – Melanie Amaro performing Otis Redding’s song “Respect” – will invite people to unlock a free video.
- Teleflora – viewers who tag Teleflora’s “Give” ad starring super model Adriana Lima will receive a secret offer.
I hope you enjoy these apps and that your favorite teams wins big for the Super Bowl! Now, can you please pass the guacamole?