Microsoft has finally made official the release information about Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Office 2007.
The service pack 2 should be made available to users from April 28th and consists of several enhancements and improvements. The Office 2007 SP2 will boost the speed of applications and provide numerous improvements, here are some of the highlights that will be included in Office 2007 SP2.
Changes that impact desktop applications
- Service Pack 2 adds the ability to open, edit and save documents in version 1.1 of the OpenDocument Format for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. These applications now let users save, open, and edit files as OpenDocument Text (*.odt), OpenDocument Spreadsheet (*.ods), and OpenDocument Presentations (*.odp).
- The 2007 Microsoft Office Service Pack 2 is the first service pack to support uninstall of client updates through the Microsoft Service Pack Uninstall Tool for the 2007 Microsoft Office Suite as well as via Windows Installer command line. The Service Pack Uninstall Tool will be available as a separate download.
- The Microsoft Save As PDF or XPS add-in has been built into Office applications in SP2. Users no longer have to download and install the add-in separately.
- When many graphic objects are present performance has been improved.
- In many scenarios, expect increased print fidelity of graphical objects.
- Improved interoperability using standard DrawingML markup to describe the visual properties of the SmartArt graphic.
In addition to this the SP2 also sees improvements for individual applications in the office suite. You can read all about the enhancements and improvements in the Official post at TechNet.