There are several times when you may want to save the current web page in PDF format, the reason being that PDF are easy to maintain and print, whereas dealing with several html files can be quite a hassle.
PDFIt is a Firefox extension that allows you to convert any page into a image file and then convert it to PDF through a online service provided by touchpdf.com.
PDFIt allows you to convert whole pages or just the visible screen are as a PDF or image file. Once you have installed the extension, you can right click on any web page and select the conversion option you want.
You can also use shortcut keys to save the file as a PDF or image. The shortcut keys are;
- Alt + 1 Save whole page as a image
- Alt + 2 Save visible area as a image
- Alt + 3 Save whole page as PDF
- Alt + 4 Save visible area as PDF
The conversion is pretty fast and the quality is not bad either, here is a PDF of our home page, we created using the extension.
- Convert current page(Whole Page or Visible Part) to Image(PNG or JPEG)
- Add title to generated image (Firefox 3 only)
- Specify the color/position/font size for title
- Apply up to 16 filters while converting page to Image
- Convert the generated image to PDF file via online service provided by www.touchpdf.com
Overall this extension is really useful and can make saving web pages much more easier for users.
This is a experimental extension, so you will have to login before you can download it. To save you some trouble and time, here is a username and password you can use to login into Firefox add-ons site.