Google’s +1 service helps people discover relevant content.
It can be a website, a photo, an advertisement or a video, content that gets plus one’d from people present in your social circles are showcased on top of search results. This is Google’s attempt to offer personalized content on search result pages, so that users can find content based on their social recommendations.
The game of search has changed. And changed for good.
No longer can any particular site dominate the search results by buying tons of links, the playing field has been leveled by human engagement. Social signals are a strong factor now.
The way Google search is evolving, web marketers are increasingly focusing on engaging people and drifting away from classical link marketing. Does that mean SEO firms have to close shop and find alternative ways to foster their business?
Apparently, no. Instead, they have now found a new way to game clients Buy social signals for $249, Cheap google Plus one votesand 50 Google Plus onesare new one-liners.
How Some SEO Firms Are Selling Google +1 Votes
Just a simple Google search for buy Google Plus onesand you will end up finding quite a good number of sources selling Google Plus ones.
Plussem.com and googleplus1supply.com are the two sites who are selling Google Plus ones in exchange of hard cash, I am sure more social media shops will join them in coming days. Their pitch is simple, buy Google plus one votes from real people (or spammers) and see the impact of these plus ones on your ranking.
Here is a quote from plussem.com which sounds lucrative
Buying Plus Ones can help your site stand out by showing Google that the content featured on it or the page being Plussed is of value to real people and not spammy. Similar to Facebook’s LIKE, the Twitter FOLLOW or Digg’s DIGG it adds a human aspect to the ranking algorithm used by search engines and social bookmarking sites
Not getting enough plus one’s on your sales page? These services claim that all their plus ones come from human computers, no bots are used. Core principles are listed below:
- All +1â€²s come from people with a Google account that has been verified by phone (Phone Verified Accounts)
- All +1â€²s come from real people. No bots are being used!
- All +1â€²s are being given by manually going to your website and clicking the +1 button
- It’s untraceable because the +1â€²s are being given from different IP’s
- All +1â€²s are given dripped over a couple of days so it looks natural
Sounds good? Let me tell you, this is CRAP!
Why Buying Google Plus One’s Might not Help But Hurt
This concept is not new, we have seen retweet clubs, 3 way Facebook fan pages and Digg groups created solely for the purpose of pushing each others content on social sites and search engines.
You tweet each and every link from my blog and I will do the same for you
You give me 500 Diggs from your network and I will give you 500 in return. Hence, both of us will end up having 1000 Diggs and we will be at the first page
These forced social sharing concept is nothing but a fallacy. Its just a fancy name of spamming, if you are doing this to your followers – I beg of you STOP IT.
And neither they help you get higher ranks for your content. It’s a myth and you should understand a few things before trying to game a search engine:
1. Search engines work universally for everyone. If someone doesn’t have a Google account, will he see completely different results for a given search query? No.
2. Google Plus ones, retweets, Facebook likes are strong social signals but they help only on the social recommendation level. Getting a thousand plus one’s on any given page will not push your content for everyone.
Example: If I am connected to John on Twitter and John plus one’s a page about WordPress, there is a chance that I will see John’s link on Google; the next time I search for something related to WordPress.
Now if that page receives 500 Plus ones from different users, will it get a permanent spot on Google search results for a given search query? No.
So what is the point of buying Google Plus ones, retweets or Facebook likes? The spammers who are voting your content for money are not present in the social circle of everyone.
And here is why this behavior might hurt rather than helping you.
Google can precisely detect the user engagement of a given page, over a given period of time. How much time do visitors spend on your page, what other pages they are reading, where are they coming from, search queries and everything.
Take it from me – its impossible to manipulate or compensate for the organically generated data, you can’t do it with 10,000 spammers working for you on a given page over a course of 1 year.
Instead, Google can detect spammy behavior and whether a site owner is engaging in over optimization techniques.
1. This site was nothing the other day and suddenly, we have 40,000 pages in the index.
2. This is an ecommerce site and for the past couple of months, all their backlinks have the exact same anchor text.
3. The people who have +1′d pages on this site have also +1′d thousands of pages on other sites. Interestingly, these pages do not match and they have nothing in common.
A high school drop out can do the math from the above equations, forget complex search algorithms.