In the past we have told you about tools that allow you to measure the amount of time you spend on various websites. Considering a recent report in the Web2.0 summit, we definitely urge you to start using them :-).
TechCrunch has created a summed up report, from a presentation by Mike Schroepfer, Facebook’s VP of Engineering. According to him:
- Users spend 8 billion minutes online everyday using Facebook
- There are some 2 billion pieces of content shared every week on the service
- Users upload 2 billion photos each month
- There are over 20 billion photos now on Facebook
- During peak times, Facebook serves 1.2 million photos a second
- Yesterday alone, Facebook served 5 billion API calls
- There are 1.2 million users for every engineer at Facebook
8 Billion minutes a day is definitely a huge number, considering that we mortals only have 1440 minutes a day. To give you a perspective, Facebook has 300 million users and according to the presented data, an average user spends a minimum of 27 minutes on Facebook. This number may not be entirely correct, since several millions users do not actively use Facebook everyday. We can safely assume that a average user spends 30-35 minutes on Facebook.
The fact that Facebook has 30000 servers to handle these requests, make them more reliable than the smaller players, and gives users a better experience while using their service.
How may minutes do you spend on Facebook? Do let us know about it through your comments.