According to IDC, Dell is the number one PC vendor in the consumer, small & medium business, as well as the enterprise space. Dell has channel presence across hundreds of cities and sells at thousands of retail outlets across the country. Apart from a variety of product lines to suit diverse customers, the after-sales support options from Dell has garnered several fans and loyalists, including me.
Last week I met Mahesh Bhalla, Executive Director and General Manager (Consumer & SMB) at Dell India. We talked about Dell’s business in India, the revolution in devices and form factors, and Dell’s newest line of business the mobile phones.
- Dell is fully committed to the PC business. The high-volume business is tricky, which is why HP recently announced that they are looking to spin-off their PC business
- Mahesh dismisses the myth that to succeed in Indian market, one has to sell the product at the cheapest. Dell’s number one status testifies this assertion since Dell prices it products higher than the regional industry average.
- Dell succeeds in getting positive mindshare on basis of support options since it builds those with an astute understanding of the local market. In India, on-site service is the best option. Dell provides on-site service in 650 cities
- There are a variety of form factors in the market at this moment. After a certain time, the market would crystallize. One can always give choice to customers, but too many choices add to costs.
- Dell has been in mobile business for less than a year, and is working to improve the distribution channels and also offer different form factors and device options.