The wait is finally over for the Motorola Cliq users. Last month, we posted that Motorola Cliq will get an Android 2.1 update in mid-November and finally the update is available for all Motorola Cliq handsets. This update is not available Over-The-Air (OTA) and it needs to be downloaded manually from the Motorola’s website.
- A fully charged Motorol Cliq with an active SIM card
- A microSD card installed in your phone with approximately 100 MB of free space.
- Internal phone storage space approximately 40MB free.
- Latest version of Android 1.5 software Blur_Version.1.6.1.MB200.T-Mobile.en.US
The whole process will take an hour to complete the update. The Android 2.1 update brings six new home screens, battery-life saving widgets, enhancements in Google Maps, Task Manager and more. To update your handset, head over to this page.
There is a good news for all the Motorola Cliq users. After waiting for months, T-Mobile and Motorola are planning to roll out the Android 2.1 update for Motorola Cliq soon, but the exact date is still unknown. The news was confirmed from the leaked screenshot of an internal T-Mobile training system which shows that Android 2.1 update for Motorola Cliq is coming soon.
According to TMO News, employees are usually trained a week ahead of any scheduled release and the T-Mobile employees are set to begin their training on November 7th, so the Android 2.1 update is likely to come in the mid-November.
The update requires 30MB of internal memory and 100MB of available memory on MicroSD card. The update will be available only through the computer and not via. OTA (Over The Air). The whole process will take an hour to complete the update. Motorola Cliq XT is also expected to get the Android 2.1 update soon.
Worried whether your Motorola phone will get the Android 2.1 update treatment or not? Well Motorola has just updated their roadmap to include a bunch of phones, which will be getting the Android 2.1 update. It is quite strange that the Motorola Milestone is getting the Android 2.1 upgrade treatment in some countries.
The device comes pre-loaded with Android 2.1. The Motorola DEXT, Backflip, and CLIQ users can rejoice, as eventually they will get the Android 2.1 update. Sadly, by the time these phones get the Android 2.1 update, most of the devices will come pre-loaded with Android 2.2. It is only the Motorola Quench, whose Android 2.1 update is under evaluationfor all the regions.
Most Droid/Milestone owners should be more interested in when their phone will get the Android 2.2 upgrade. The Motorola Droid already has got an unofficialupgrade to Android 2.2.
Motorola CLIQ users will shortly get a Firmware update v1.3.18 for their devices. This update will bring in several improvements to CLIQ’s battery life, touch screen sensitivity, GPS performance, audio routing, caller notification and more.
Motorola has also announced an update to Android bumping the version to Android 2.1 at a later date. The actual date for the Android update is not yet available, but it should be coming early March.
Motorola CLIQ Firmware v1.3.18 Features
- Improved Battery Life – Enhanced battery performance.
- Improved Touch Screen Sensitivity – Improves the touch screen sensitivity and response of your device.
- Better Audio Routing – Repairs audio routing to prevent spontaneous speakerphone activations during calls and the random occurrence of music playback through the earpiece instead of appropriate external speakers.
- Improved Caller Notification – Improves user interface performance, consistently notifying you when a new call is coming in, reducing missed call notifications.
- Faster GPS Performance – Provides faster GPS performance for applications like Google Maps, Geotagging of photos and other GPS functions (SUPL).
- Support For Additional Windows Media Formats – Compatible with more media formats including .WMA and .WAV Windows media files.
- Bluetooth Improvements – Allows a Bluetooth car kit to sync to your device so your car kit can display the names of incoming callers, download phone book contacts so calls can be made from the car kit display and allows you to view the call history list from the car kit display. Listen to visual voicemail over Bluetooth.
- SIM Card Management – Import, export or delete contacts individually or in groups.
- Additional Stability – Additional device stability reduces occurrence of unresponsiveness and/or programs quitting unexpectedly.
- The Latest Versions of Google Applications – Updated GMS application provides access to the latest versions of Google apps like Maps, Talk, YouTube, Market and more.
- Updated Quickoffice – Read, edit or create Microsoft ® Office documents with the latest, preloaded version of Quickoffice.
Users can download the latest firmware for CLIQ here. Please make sure to backup your phone data before you can upgrade to the newer firmware.