Apple was fined a total of 900,000 euros, or approximately $1.2 million, in Italy by its anti-trust authority for misleading consumers about product guarantees and post-sales service.
“Sanctions of a total of 900,000 euros have been imposed on the Apple group after it was found responsible for bad commercial practices that harmed consumers,” said the official statement.
According to the anti-trust authority, Apple tried to sell its AppleCare Protection Plan to customers, without informing them that they were entitled to two years of free assistance for the products under Italian law. The free service period required by law overlapped with the AppleCare protection plan coverage.
The authority fined three of Apple’s local divisions – Apple Italia, Apple Retail Italia, and Apple Sales International. It fined Apple 400 million euros for failing to inform consumers about the free coverage, and 500 million euros for trying to make them sign up for the AppleCare Protection Plan.
The fine is more symbolic than punitive in nature, as $1.2 million is chump change for Apple which has more than $80 billion in the bank. In addition to the fine, Apple will also have to publish an extract of the resolution on its website to inform consumers, and add details of the free two-year warranty to its AppleCare plan.
Few months ago, Research-In-Motion (RIM) announced the new BBM Music service for the BlackBerry smartphone users. BBM Music is currently available in the UK. RIM is rolling out BBM music in more European countries. BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) Music is a cloud based music service, which allows you to discover and access great music and share it with your BBM Music friends. RIM recently launched this service in Italy and Spain.
Features of BBM Music
- Music made social BBM Music is a cloud-based, social music service that allows you to share and discover music with your friends, creating a continually evolving music library:
- Build a personal music profile with 50 of your favorite songs. You can refresh your profile by swapping out up to 25 songs each month.
- Invite your BBM friends to subscribe to BBM Music and to join your BBM Music Community.
- With each friend that is added to BBM Music, you grow your music collection since the songs from the profile of each BBM Music friend are available to you at any time.
- Up to 50 tracks from your personal profile are shared with your BBM Music Community, and each member of your community shares up to 50 songs from their profile with you.
- Enjoy a truly social community-based music experience the more friends who join your community, the more songs you can listen to.
- Easily discover music that your BBM Music friends are listening to, and comment on your friends’ songs and playlists.
- You can create multiple playlists from music in your profile as well as all of your friends’ profiles, and with one click you can shuffle the entire collection of music from your BBM Music Community. You can even see which friend contributed each song while it plays.
- Within your BBM Music app, you also see a visual timeline that shows the recent updates of all users within your community. It gives you a chronological view of community updates, including who added new friends, which songs were added or removed, which playlists were created and what comments were made by your BBM Music friends.
- Listen to Full Tracks – BBM Music subscribers can listen to full tracks from their friends’ profiles not just previews.
- Offline Listening – Music can be saved to smartphones for offline listening, allowing users to access songs even when they don’t have wireless coverage.
- Topping the Charts Keep track of how many friends are listening to your tracks.
BBM Music allows you to create a personal music profile with up to 50 of your favorite songs and share them with your BBM Music Community. Your friends can also share their music with you, but the service limits only 140 friends. BBM Music is charged at $4.99 in the US, £4.99 in the UK and â‚¬4.99 in Italy and Spain.