Digsby recently crossed 1 million users, however that has not stopped them from innovating and adding several interesting features into the already popular multi protocol instant messenger.
In a few hours from now Digsby will be announcing a major update to, which includes several new features, which include.
- MySpace: A completely MySpace newsfeed which now includes a full Activities Stream, status updates, and the ability to browse photos. An ability not available in any other IM program.
- Global Status: A new Global Status dialog which makes it easy to set your status across social networks and IM accounts. The Global Status dialog has spell checking built in and makes it easy to share links (via digs.by) and pictures (via pic.im)
- URL Shortener: Digsby is launching a URL shortener just for Digsby users under the domain http://digs.by . In the future users will be able to access a history of the links they’ve shared and view other statistics like how many times they were clicked.
- OneRiot: Digsby has also partnered with OneRiot to make it easy for you to search the real-time web to the desktop. Just hit Ctrl + Fon the buddy list to search.
In addition to this the new version of Digsby will also sport a new and fresh skin, these changes look pretty good and definitely makes Digsby one of the best multi-protocol IMs available today.
Update: Digsby has made a official announcement, you can download the latest version to get all the new features.
Google Talk is predominantly used for its simple and fast interface as well as its unobtrusive notifications. Moreover, it now supports voice chat and video calling as well making it one of the best featured chat clients on the internet.
However, there is a side to it that most people do not know much about it is actually a Jabber/XMPP protocol using chat client and there are a variety of chat bots for this platform. Listed are five very useful bots that transform Google Talk into a powerhouse.
- Translation Bot: This offering from Google Translate turns your IM client into a ready-to-go translation service. All you need to add is the correct bot such as [email protected] (for English to Hindi), or perhaps an English to German bot [email protected] and start sending it the translation requests. Although this feature is not one hundred percent accurate, it is still a highly useful feature for all those users who need to translate small pieces of text on a daily basis. The full list of translation bots contains a lot more bots in other languages as well.
- Ping.fm: This all-in-one bot sends messages to 40 social networking websites supported by it including status updates on Facebook, tweets to Twitter (obviously!), microblog posts to Tumblr and other fun features. Best of all, this messaging system works right from your IM client and is completely free. Head over to Ping.fm’s site and sign up for all of its features and the IM chat bot!
- Meshly: This link site has an IM client! All you need to do is add their chat bot [email protected] to your friend-list and you are good to go. It works completely off IM clients and you can also add categories, tags and even a short description with the IM message you send.
- Aardvark: This startup is something of a mashup of Yahoo! Answers and Instant Messaging. Ask a question to the bot, and based on its algorithms it will compute its own tag (or you could give it a few) and it will ask the right people your question and you will get an answer shortly you may also receive questions based on the topics you like. This brilliant idea works very well and you almost always get a useful answer. Sign up for its bot!
- Askme.IM: This site is dedicated to developer chat bots from India. From live cricket scores ([email protected]) to movie reviews ([email protected]) to even pending criminal cases against sitting Indian parliamentarians ([email protected]) this website has quite a few bots that work very well with Google Talk and are sometimes very useful on the go.
Editor’s Note: If you are looking to find dictionary meaning don’t forget to add our exclusive dictionary bot to your Google Talk friend list you can learn more about our exclusive Dictionary Lookup Bot for IM. If you are on Twitter, don’t forget to add @twitlookup to your friend list, it allows you to find dictionary meanings, get weather updates and more without leaving twitter, learn more about Twit Lookup.
We have some very exciting and exclusive news about Digsby, the popular multi-protocol IM client is about to announce a major update later today to the Digsby client, this update will include several enhancements and includes the culmination of three months of development efforts.
The new features that will be rolled out in this new version includes several exciting changes including several performance enhancements and CPU usage reduction by about 50%.
In addition to this you can also lookup and search your buddies in your buddy list as well as on the web.
Another new feature is the ability to set invisible status for GTalk, which is not yet available in the basic GTalk client.
Disgby New Features Overview
- Performance: Performance optimization from the ground up, reducing overall CPU usage by about 50%
- Buddy List Search: Press Ctrl+F to easily search your buddy list or the web
- Emoticons: Added four new emoticon packs to choose from
- File Transfers: Improved the reliability of AIM, ICQ, and MSN file transfers
- Conversations: Added an option for new IM windows to start hidden and blink the tray icon instead of popping up a window
- New Infobox: The infobox now uses the same user interface control as the IM window (WebKit), making it much faster and more versatile
- MySpace: Added support for setting status on MySpace
- Google Talk: Added support for the Invisible status on Gtalk
- And More: Over 100 other bug fixes and enhancements!
Here are some exclusive screen shots of the new application.
More screenshots coming soon.
What do you think of the updates that will be made available later today? You can head over to the Digsby Blog to catch up the announcement later today.
Many of us keep our messengers on even when we are not around the PC, however there are people who will still try and ping you when you are away, sending them a short message that you are not around does help, so that they do not continue waiting for your reply.
If you are a Gtalk user, you can use a software called Gtalk Autoreply to send a autoreply to be sent out if someone pings you when you are away from the computer.
Once you have downloaded the software you can set a custom message to be sent out when you are away, the message is customizable.
After enabling the Autoreply if anyone pings pings you on Gtalk they will see the message you setup, definitely useful if you use Gtalk a lot, however
we would like to see the ability to disable the accompanying link in the autoreply message, the developer took note of this and has removed the link going out in the autoreply message.
Download GTalk Autoreply
I am happy to announce another new exclusive Techie Buzz offering, which will allow users to query dictionary for words, through instant messaging services like Gtalk/Jabber, AIM, MSN and Yahoo.
I built this utility so that users can lookup words while checking emails, without having to open new browser windows, the tool currently lookups the dictionary for single words, however multiple words may work, but nothing is guaranteed.
Continue reading Lookup Bot: Search Dictionary Words From Instant Messengers [Exclusive Techie Buzz Tools]