Last year, Motorola launched the limited edition Motorola Droid R2-D2 smartphone. This handset originally runs on the old Android 2.2 (Froyo) Operating System. However, the company later updated the device to the Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) OS. Now, Verizon will soon start rolling out a new software update for the powerful Motorola Droid R2-D2 smartphone.
Before you get too excited, let me tell you that the latest update does not bring the much-awaited Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) OS. However, it brings lots of other enhancements and bug fixes. This update is numbered 4.5.622.A957 and it comes with enhanced security, improved 3G data connectivity, increased browser cross-application scripting and much more. Check out the complete changelog below.
- Enhanced security with DigiNotar security patch.
- Increased browser cross-application scripting for enhanced multitasking stability.
- Device will no longer automatically power on after it has been powered off.
- Device is enabled with the Wireless Alerting System.
- Successfully download and save purchased MP3 ringtones.
- Camera settings will be saved, even after the device is powered off.
- Increased device stability when keypad is opened and closed repeatedly.
- Improved 3G data connectivity while using the Mobile Hotspot.
Applications & Widgets:
- App shortcuts remain on the home screen after moving them from internal to external memory.
- VZ Navigator is now updated to version 18.104.22.1682.
- V CAST Apps is now updated to version 22.214.171.124.
- Successfully play WAV files.
- Contact groups will sort correctly.
- Successfully add application shortcuts or widgets to the home panel without error.
Email & Messaging:
- Fixed issue where duplicate text and multimedia messages were being received.
- Improved ability to access and receive Gmail messages when the Mobile Hotspot is turned on.
- Improved syncing with Yahoo! email.
- Forwarded emails will no longer remain in the outbox when Smart Forwarding is enabled.
This update bumps the Motorola DROID R2-D2 to Android 2.3.4. It can be easily downloaded via OTA (Over-The-Air). The size of the update is 12 MB. If you have not received the update, then just go to Home > Applications > Settings > About Device > System updates and check for the update. To learn more, head over to this page or check out this PDF file.