Digsby, the popular multi-protocol IM and social networking client has been acquired by Tagged; a social discovery engine for finding new people.
The Digsby buyout is more of a talent acquisition than a client acquisition as the Digsby team will now work as part of the Tagged team on their product. The Digsby will continue to support Digsby as a standalone product, however, they don’t have any long-term plans for Digsby right now. Digsby currently has over 3 million users.
They have also updated the Digsby installation to remove all bundled offers, so users will have to skip a lot less crapware installations while installing Digsby. It is not clear as to how much Tagged paid for Digsby.
Digsby has been improving the user experience of late, allowing users to disable ads in Digsby and improving their Twitter support. However, it looks like it is the end of road for future updates.
You can head over to the official Digsby blog to learn more about the acquisition.
Advertising helps free products and sites stay free. Of course they can be annoying, but you have to understand that without them products and websites will soon run out of fire-power.
However, Digsby the multi-protocol instant messenger is now allowing users to opt-out of ads. Yes, the ads are actually optional. The options for disabling ads is available in the latest build 86. So if you have been annoyed with the ads, you can simply go ahead and disable it by going to Options -> Conversations.
Digsby has announced a new version of the multi-protocol instant messaging client with much better support for Twitter. The idea behind the changes are to make twitter look less of a timeline and more of a conversation between users.
Here are some screenshots of the new Digsby interface for Twitter, that will be demoed later today at DEMOFall 09.
In addition to that you can also reply to users from within the popup message for twitter updates.
Overall there are several new features in the new Digsby client which include the following.
- Single column user interface that doesn’t take up your whole screen
- Tweets are shown in chronological order so you read the conversation as it happens instead of seeing the tail end first and reading it backwards
- Digsby keeps track of unread counts but you never have to mark tweets as read. Digsby does it for you automatically
- Whenever you open the Twitter window, Digsby brings you right where you left off so you can continue reading the conversation without missing a tweet
- Conquer information overload by filtering groups of users out of the main timeline so it is the most useful view and not the most cluttered
- Snapshot view of recent tweets is still available in the Infobox along with the added ability to reply and retweet right inline
- Reply and Retweet right from popup notifications so you can stay on task and stay in the loop
- Automatic URL shortening when you paste links and automatic photo uploading when you paste pictures or screenshots
You can find more information at the official Digsby blog.
Digsby recently crossed 1 million users, however that has not stopped them from innovating and adding several interesting features into the already popular multi protocol instant messenger.
In a few hours from now Digsby will be announcing a major update to, which includes several new features, which include.
- MySpace: A completely MySpace newsfeed which now includes a full Activities Stream, status updates, and the ability to browse photos. An ability not available in any other IM program.
- Global Status: A new Global Status dialog which makes it easy to set your status across social networks and IM accounts. The Global Status dialog has spell checking built in and makes it easy to share links (via digs.by) and pictures (via pic.im)
- URL Shortener: Digsby is launching a URL shortener just for Digsby users under the domain http://digs.by . In the future users will be able to access a history of the links they’ve shared and view other statistics like how many times they were clicked.
- OneRiot: Digsby has also partnered with OneRiot to make it easy for you to search the real-time web to the desktop. Just hit Ctrl + Fon the buddy list to search.
In addition to this the new version of Digsby will also sport a new and fresh skin, these changes look pretty good and definitely makes Digsby one of the best multi-protocol IMs available today.
Update: Digsby has made a official announcement, you can download the latest version to get all the new features.
Digsby the popular multi-protocol IM and social networking software has reached a big milestone of 1 million users worldwide managing over 3 million IM, email and social networking accounts.
To mark this milestone, they have also launched a new affiliate program, where they will pay users $1.0 for ever new Digsby user.
A referral affiliate program is the first of its kind in the IM industry and shows how much Digsby is inclined to grow.
To know more you can visit the Digsby blog post or apply to join the Digsby Affiliate Program.
We have some very exciting and exclusive news about Digsby, the popular multi-protocol IM client is about to announce a major update later today to the Digsby client, this update will include several enhancements and includes the culmination of three months of development efforts.
The new features that will be rolled out in this new version includes several exciting changes including several performance enhancements and CPU usage reduction by about 50%.
In addition to this you can also lookup and search your buddies in your buddy list as well as on the web.
Another new feature is the ability to set invisible status for GTalk, which is not yet available in the basic GTalk client.
Disgby New Features Overview
- Performance: Performance optimization from the ground up, reducing overall CPU usage by about 50%
- Buddy List Search: Press Ctrl+F to easily search your buddy list or the web
- Emoticons: Added four new emoticon packs to choose from
- File Transfers: Improved the reliability of AIM, ICQ, and MSN file transfers
- Conversations: Added an option for new IM windows to start hidden and blink the tray icon instead of popping up a window
- New Infobox: The infobox now uses the same user interface control as the IM window (WebKit), making it much faster and more versatile
- MySpace: Added support for setting status on MySpace
- Google Talk: Added support for the Invisible status on Gtalk
- And More: Over 100 other bug fixes and enhancements!
Here are some exclusive screen shots of the new application.
More screenshots coming soon.
What do you think of the updates that will be made available later today? You can head over to the Digsby Blog to catch up the announcement later today.
Digsby a popular multi protocol IM and social networking tool, has a portable cousin, which will allow you to use Digsby from a USB drive.
The software is created by a German developer and if not affiliated with the original creators of Digsby.
You can download the latest version of Digsby Portable which fixes several issues where Digsby stopped working after the last update.
Download Portable Digsby [via Download Squad]
What is Digsby
If you are not yet aware, Digsby is a wonderful applications that lets you combine the powers of Social Networking, IM and emails into a single application. For all socially networked souls in this Web 2.0 era, Digsby is like a cool breeze. It allows you to manage multiple clients and services from a single application. A big time saver.
But, what is BAD about Digsby
But, while I was installing Digsby on a friend’s computer recently, I noticed that Digsby has changed their installer and the new installer is just full of bad applications, all trying to have a share of your mindspace.
Continue reading Is Digsby an Adware ?
Digsby had been one of our favorite multi-im protocol client which had built in support for IM networks, social networking and emails from popular email providers like Gmail, Hotmail, AOL and so on. But the one major concern for us had been the huge memory footprint it used which literally used to hang the PC when a new alert of email arrived.
Over a period of time they have been working on several performance enhancements which reduced memory usage and made it much more faster.
Related: Customize Digsby with Themes
Continue reading Digsby Releases New Update, Adds LinkedIn Support
Digsby,instant messaging,multi-protocol IM,digsby updates,digsby im