If you read the title and sighed because you’re sick of hearing about word processors, do try to read this one because even though you could use MS Word, WordPad, or Notepad for your word processing needs, there’s another cool and free utility that is better than all of those for most people!
Word processors started out as replacement for typewriters and provided a great benefit in those times. However, as the software progressed, Word processors turned into giant bloated applications designed with hordes of features that only corporate users would ever need. Unfortunately, there is no Microsoft Word Lite edition without all of the useless features that make it run slow or crash your computer!
Jarte is a WordPad based, FREE word processor whose unique interface will make you feel like you are piloting a swift, nimble yacht by comparison. It doesn’t look anything like your normal office word processor, but it can handle every task equally well!
From any Word Processor you would expect it to be able to handle Word documents, font and paragraph formatting, spell checking, print preview, and more. And while Jarte performs all the standard functions well, the most important aspect of Jarte is the numerous small details that make it an efficient and enjoyable tool for creating documents. Here are some of the nicer features of Jarte:
- Tabbed document windows for easy access to your open documents
- Larger buttons for the most commonly used functions
- Instant dictionary and thesaurus word lookup (integrates with free WordWeb)
- Spell check and text search tools that do not park themselves on top of the text you are trying to edit
- Single click bookmarking that make bookmarks both useful and usable
- Instant access to the documents and folders you designate as your favorites
- Instant access to the fonts you designate as your favorites
- Use of the mouse scroll wheel button to copy and paste text
It’s based on the WordPad engine, so you can be assured that the code is stable and will not cause problems with Windows. It simply adds a lot of good features on top of WordPad. It’s fully compatible with Windows Vista and it can open RTF, DOC, TXT, and DOCX (Office 2007) files.
Another cool feature of the software is that it does not need to be installed, but simply can be run by executing the EXE file. This means you can run the program from a USB stick if you like on any computer!
Overall, it’s a cool word processor that is better than WordPad and Notepad in terms of features and also still faster than MS Word because it only includes the most popular features. Definitely worth checking out if you’ve been looking for a good Notepad replacement! Enjoy!