As is often the case with Ashampoo products, shortly after they roll out new versions, you start seeing free offers for the previous versions.
There’s nothing wrong with that at all. I’ve used several Ashampoo products after free versions became available. I’ve found their offerings to be very good in most cases. Ashampoo WinOptimizer is also one of those cases.
What is WinOptimizer?
WinOptimizer is a PC cleaner and optimizer. After scanning the system, the software offers you opportunities to change the PC settings to increase performance. It also scans for unnecessary (junk) files and orphaned or corrupted registry keys.
Here are a few additional features:
- Icon Saver
- Real-time backup
- Registry Optimizer
- Drive Cleaner
- Tweaking Tools
- Process Manager
- StartUp Tuner
- File Wiper
- One-Click Optimization
WinOptimizer has consistently had a 4 out of 5 user rating at Download.com and is a popular download despite a normal cost of around $40 or $50 USD after a trial period.
In order to get it for free, you will have to jump through a few hoops. However, none of the hoops are on fire, and I’ll guide you through them step by step.
Get a free license and download WinOptimizer:
1. Surf on over to request a free license on this page and enter your email address in the form provided. You can safely ignore the other two fields requesting info. All they need is an email address. A few minutes after you hit the Sendbutton, you should get an email from Ashampoo.
2. Check your email. If you don’t see anything, check your spam folder. You’ll have an email, written in German, offering a link to send you out to get your free license key. In the letter I received, it was the second link in the email.
3. After clicking the link you’ll arrive at Ashampoo. Look up to the top right and pick the language (flag) you are most comfortable reading.
4. Now look at the left side bar on the page and choose the link labeled My free keys.
5. You should be taken to a page listing your free license key for Ashampoo WinOptimizer 5. Copy and save the key someplace safe. Later, you should be able to go back to this page if you need the key again.
6. Now go to WinOptimizer 5 at Chip.de. Once again, you’ll be at a German website. Don’t panic though, you can choose Englishwhen you install the software later. To get to the download page, click the button which looks like the one I’ve circled below in the image.
7. Another page and you’ll have to click once more, as I’ve shown you with a circle below.
8. Wait a few seconds and the download should start automatically. The file name should be something like winoptimizer_5_510.exe.
9. Once the file is downloaded, you are ready to install. Be sure to have your key ready to either type or paste it into the program when it’s needed.
I used the Quick Scan for trying it out on the first run. I was pleasantly surprised that I agreed with every tweak that they offered. Hopefully, I will continue to be happy with this product.
Techie Buzz Verdict:
After using WinOptimizer for a brief spell, I’ll agree with most of the user reviews at Download.com. It’s easy to use and so far, it hasn’t caused any problems. I haven’t noticed any huge performance boosts, but my system was pretty clean to start with.
Tech Buzz Rating: 4/5 (Excellent)