Digsby, one of our favorite multi-protocol IM clients has also been the biggest memory hogger for us, though they had announced back in July that they were working on a much better version which would use much lesser memory, the wait seemed so long.
We were very surprised and relieved to hear that they have released a new version (not yet fully tested) which addresses several issues Digsby has had with earlier versions.
Some of the Improvements in the latest version include:
- RAM Optimization: Digsby was known to use more than 150MB Ram in the earlier versions, with the latest version the RAM usage should be in between 20-50MB, a 50% improvement.
- Performance: Digsby now performs 2-3 times faster than earlier versions.
- Firewalls and Proxy Servers: Every IM protocol now automatically tries to connect using several different ports to improve the odds of getting through restrictive firewalls and proxy servers.
- Crash Reporter: The new release includes a crash reporter that will ask you whether you want to send a crash log to us if Digsby should crash.
- Bug Fixes + Enhancements: A large number of bug fixes and enhancements makes it way into the new version.
The latest version is not suitable for regular users yet, for those who want to help the Digsby team test out the latest version, can read the instructions in the Digsby Forum to get the latest version.