If you are sick and tired of seeing the same icons in Windows explorer, you can change it to a custom icon of your choice. This tutorial explains how you can change the icons of Windows drives using an applicaton.
How to change Windows Drive icons with a Freeware Application
My Drive icon can change the Windows icons in three easy steps.
1. Download My Drive icon. It’s a portable application and thus require no installation.
2. Start the application and select the drive for which you wish to change the icon.
3. Browse to the icon file and hit Apply Changes.
The application works with Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.
How to Change Windows Drive Icons Without Using Any Software
You can change the drive’s icon without using any third party tools. Following are the steps involved:
- Go to the root directory of a drive and paste the icon file. For example: if you want to change the icon of C drive, paste the icon file in C:\
- Rename the icon file to Driveicon.ico.
- Open notepad and paste the following lines:
- Save the file as Autorun.inf. Remember to save it as All filesand not as a text document.
- Execute the autorun file and restart your computer. The Windows drive icon will be replaced with your chosen icon.
The application does the job perfectly and it is compatible with Windows Xp, Vista and Windows 7.
Techie-Buzz Rating: 5/5 (Perfect).