To start with, aMSN is an exact clone of MSN Messenger offering the same functionality and even the same look and feel. It lets you chat, transfer files, arrange contacts in groups, save chat logs, set automated away messages, do conferencing, use web cam and almost all the other good stuff that the original MSN Messenger allows you to. However, there are many features that make this clone almost better than the original MSN:
- Multi OS Support. Works with Windows, Mac OS, Linux and even Nokia N900.
- Multi language support: currently in over 40 languages.
- Multi-account sign in.
- Over 25 different skins to choose from.
- Much lighter and quicker to install than MSN.
- Lots of third-party plug-ins to customize the functionality.
- Time stamping and tabbed chat windows.
- Dual display pictures.
- You can create your own plug-in.
These are just some of the features that, to me, make aMSN a much better candidate to use than the original MSN Messenger. Of course there are other uses of it too for example if your school/office doesn’t allow you to install MSN or if the original MSN messes up your OS. To me, the simple fact that it is such a light-weight alternative is good enough to make the switch.