Microsoft has officially announced the next generation of Windows Mobile OS – Windows Phone 7 Series. This OS has been built from scratch and is totally different from the earlier versions. It now focuses strongly on social networking and has integrated support for Xbox LIVE and Zune.
Steve Ballmer has stated:
Today, I’m proud to introduce Windows Phone 7 Series, the next generation of Windows Phones,said Steve Ballmer, chief executive officer at Microsoft. In a crowded market filled with phones that look the same and do the same things, I challenged the team to deliver a different kind of mobile experience. Windows Phone 7 Series marks a turning point toward phones that truly reflect the speed of people’s lives and their need to connect to other people and all kinds of seamless experiences.
Every 7 series phone is going to have a dedicated Bing button – to enable one click search from anywhere in the phone.
7 series also brings a completely new concept – WIndows Phone hubs. They are meant to club similar items together and thus provide an easy and friendly to browse data. 7 series will have the following six hubs by default:
- People: It is Meant for social experience and can bring together content based on someones live feeds from social networks and photos. It can also be used to post updates to Facebook and Windows Live.
- Pictures: Helps to share pictures and video to social networks.
- Games: Used to play Xbox LIVE games and to see gamers profiles.
- Music+Video:Will be used to transfer movies or music from the internet or from a user’s PC. It also has an FM radio.
- Marketplace: Allows users to easily discover and load the phone with certified applications and games.
- Office:With access to Office, OneNote and SharePoint Workspace all in one place, users can easily read, edit and share documents.
Many phone company’s have already started to make phones for this OS and so, we might very well see a working device by the end of this year.