Last month, Verizon rolled out a software update for the Motorola Droid 4 smartphone. Verizon will soon roll out a software update for its predecessor, the Motorola Droid 3. The size of the update is 224.8MB. However, this update does not bring the much-awaited Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) OS. With just 512 MB of RAM, Motorola Droid 3 is not expected to get the Android 4.0 update in the future.
The latest update is numbered 5.7.906.XT862 and it can be easily downloaded via OTA (Over-The-Air). It comes with a Google security patch, improvements to the camera’s auto-focus, pre-loaded VZ Navigator 3D City app and much more. Check out the complete changelog below.
- A Google Security Patch has been added to improve the security level.
- Fixed issue where the device may power ON without user interaction.
- Avoid device interruption when accessing an application prior to the storage being fully mounted on the device.
- Improvements in device stability help avoid device power cycles.
- When connected to a Bluetooth headset or HDMI cable, the device will no longer lock up and power cycle.
- Improvements to the camera’s auto focus will reduce the shutter response time and enhance the quality of captured imagery.
- Device is enabled with the Wireless Alerting System.
- Use a wired headset without the interruption of a high pitched tone.
- Plus code dialing has been enhanced, improving the experience while traveling.
Applications & Widgets:
- Playback media can be heard while using a Bluetooth headset.
- Place a call to the appropriate recipient using the contact widget.
- When moving applications to the SD card, shortcuts to these Apps will remain.
- After updating the contact database from the Messaging App, the Messaging UI will display the latest contact information.
- Successfully post and play videos on Facebook.
- Purchased ringtones are now able to be downloaded, saved and used where appropriate.
- Contact pictures display properly in Google Voice.
- VZ Navigator 3D City is now preloaded.
- Resolved excessive data usages and continuous downloading for VZ Navigator 3D City downloads.
Verizon will roll out this update within a few days. If you do not get this update on your smartphone, then just go to Home > Applications > Settings > About Device > System updates and check for the update. To learn more, head over to this page or check out this PDF file.