Samsung Galaxy S III was originally launched with the Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) Operating System. The manufacturer has already rolled out the much-awaited Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) update for the unlocked variant of this device across the globe. However, the owners of the carrier locked Galaxy S III are still waiting for their respective carrier to approve and roll out this update.
Luckily, T-Mobile and Sprint customers were the first ones in the US to get this update. On the other hand, Verizon failed to roll out the update on time. Now, the disappointed Verizon subscribers has a reason to cheer. The big red carrier has finally rolled out the Android 4.1 update for the Galaxy S III.
The latest update is numbered JRO03L.I535VRBLK3 and it bumps the Galaxy S III to Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) OS. This update brings smart keyboard, improved S Voice, Google Now, improved voice search, enhanced notifications, new Photo Effect Filters, improved voice and data connectivity and much more. Check out the complete changelog after the break.
- Global Support
Device is enabled for Global Roaming. Now take advantage of voice and data services in over 205 countries worldwide.
- Isis Mobile Wallet
Device now includes support for the Isis Mobile Wallet; Shop, pay, and save with your phone using the Isis Mobile Wallet. The Isis Mobile Wallet holds virtual versions of most things your existing wallet does such as payment cards, loyalty cards and coupons. Just tap your phone to pay at any Isis Ready merchant.
- Improved connectivity and reliability when syncing Google and POP-3 e-mail accounts.
- Enhancements made to improve accuracy of predictive text.
- Automatic Set Up option has been enabled when setting up a Road Runner email account.
- Improved accuracy and runs reliability of Weather application.
- Visual Voicemail has been updated to ensure proper delivery of notifications.
- Fixed resets that were sometimes seen when trying to connect to a VPN client.
- Support for opening attachments in .ics format.
- Now supports Software Upgrade Assistant; installs and runs automatically when plugged in to your computer’s USB port.
- Missed Call Log has been updated to ensure accuracy.
- Enhancements have been made to ensure the reliability of Back Up Assistant Plus.
- Improvements made to automatically reconnect to known previously used Wi-Fi sources hot spots.
- Verizon Accessories Application has been added as a preload.
This update can be easily downloaded via OTA (Over-The-Air). You should make sure that your device has at least 50% or more battery. It is advised to backup all your data before updating this device. You will be automatically notified once the update is available for your device. If you have not yet received the update, then just go to Settings > About Device > System updates and check for the update. To learn more, head over to this page.