HTC and T-Mobile have started rolling out the Android 2.3 Gingerbread update for the G2. The update is being rolled via OTA starting from today. The G2 was supposed to get the Gingerbread update by the end of Q2, but T-Mobile and HTC delayed the update for some unknown reason.
Here is the official change-log from T-Mobile :
The update provides the following enhancements and improvements.
- New features:
- Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread)
- Tell HTC app
- Google Books added
- Notification bar color scheme is changed to black
- New battery indicator, phone, and web icons
- Color-coded network icon and signal indicator added. Green when connected to Google servers. Grey when not connected.
- Pressing the power key while on a call disables the proximity sensor
- Wi-Fi calling improvements
- New SMS and email notification improvements
- Improvements to sending MMS from the Gallery
Alternatively, T-Mobile G2 owners can head to any of the T-Mobile stores beginning from August 5 to get the update installed on their handset. However, they will need to make a backup of their data, since the handset will be wiped clean of all the data.
The Gingerbread update is the last Android OS update for the T-Mobile G2. The phone will not be getting any more official software updates, post this update.