Back in 2010, AT&T announced the Android powered Samsung Captivate smartphone. This handset is the AT&T’s version of the Samsung Galaxy S. The Samsung Captivate originally runs on the Android 2.1 (Eclair) OS. However, this handset was updated to the Android 2.2 (Froyo) OS during the Q1 of 2011. Now, Samsung has amazed the Samsung Captivate owners by rolling out the much-awaited Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) update. Check out the complete changelog below.
- Download management
- New layout for larger fonts
- Word prediction, multi-touch for numerical input
- One-touch word selection and copy/paste
- Fixed Top-menu in Gmail
- Voice Search added into the search categories
- Vertical play mode added to YouTube
- 3D graphic driver updates
- Additional Khronos standard such as OpenSL ES, EGL for better multimedia performance
- Concurrent Garbage Collector technology embedded to reduce lags in games
- Being able to show your face in public
It is advised to backup all you data before updating the device. You should also make sure that, the battery is fully charged before updating your phone. Sadly, this update is not available via OTA (Over-The-Air). You will need to manually update your phone, just by connecting you phone to the computer. To learn more, head over to this page.