Samsung was already confused with the naming of its smartphones. Last year, Samsung launched the Galaxy S as well as Galaxy Ace smartphones. The name of these phones created a lot of confusion among the customers. To solve this problem, Samsung recently announced a new naming strategy for its amazing Galaxy range of smartphones.
“As Samsung continues to innovate, our goal is to provide consumers with an experience uniquely tailored to their needs. We have introduced steps to ensure users can simply identify the device designed to deliver the perfect experience for them,” said JK Shin, President and Head of Samsung’s Mobile Communications Business.
From now onwards, Samsung Galaxy range of phones will bear one of these five letters – S (Super Smart), R (Royal / Refined), W (Wonder), M (Magical) and Y (Young). Samsung has also announced 3 class indicators – Pro, Plus and LTE, which allows a more specific description of the key selling points of a device.
- “S” (Super Smart) Devices at the very pinnacle of Samsung’s mobile portfolio. This class will only be used on flagship devices such as the Samsung Galaxy S, the award-winning smartphone that has already sold 10 million units throughout the world.
- “R” (Royal / Refined) Premium category models, a combination of power, performance and productivity for the individual who wants to be defined by the technology they carry.
- “W” (Wonder) High quality, strategic models, perfect for those seeking a balance between style and performance.
- “M” (Magical) High-performance models at an economic price-point.
- “Y” (Young) These are entry models or strategic models for emerging markets or a younger audience more sensitive to price.
- “Pro” This indicates that the device includes a QWERTY keyboard for speedier email typing and increased productivity for professionals.
- “Plus” This indicates that the device is an upgrade from an existing model.
- “LTE” This indicates that the device is designed to utilize LTE (Long-Term Evolution) connectivity standards, a 4G standard to provide increased mobile network capacity and speed.
To mark the creation of the new naming system, Samsung recently announced four new Galaxy smartphones – the Galaxy W, Galaxy M Pro, Galaxy Y and Galaxy Y Pro. To learn more about Galaxy W and Galaxy M Pro, head over to this page. You can find the complete specs of Galaxy Y and Galaxy Y Pro here.