Custom firmwares are quite popular for Nokia phones. Custom firmwares not only improve the performance/speed of the phone but also increase the camera image quality, add few handy new features and most importantly allows a user to install unsigned apps on their Symbian phone.
It was only a matter of time before a custom firmware for the Nokia N8 was cooked. CODeRUS over at Daily Mobile Forum has released the first custom firmware for the Nokia N8.
Here are the special features of his custom firmware for the N8 :
- Removed Show open applications from the top of menus
- Disabled Charging notes
- Removed FM transmitter on/off notifications
- Removed Leave offline mode query to access network. Only for power key event!
- Bluetooth stays on when switching to offline mode
- Added fixed FileBrowser S^3 (full access to filesystem)
- Built-in File manager can see sys, resource and edit private folders. Also can see root of C drive.
- Lock screen and keyboard replaced by Reboot phone
- Startup tone and mbm animation moved to C drive
- My own installserver for installing unsigned with all capabilities
Sadly, his custom firmware does not include any of the camera mods by HyperX available for the N8. However, users can still apply HyperX camera mods over his custom firmware manually.