Amazon Kindle is a very popular eBook reader available across many platforms, along with the Kindle, Kindle 3G and the Kindle DX eBook readers. The Kindle app from Amazon is available for free across platforms like Android-based devices, iPad, iPod Touch, Mac, iPhone and BlackBerry. Today, Amazon has released the Kindle app for Windows Phone 7 OS. The Kindle app for WP7 handsets includes new features like personalized recommendations and the ability to send book recommendations to a friend.
Here is the list of official’ features supported by Kindle on WP7 :
- Seamless integration with Kindle, Amazon’s purpose-build reading device which is light weight, easy on the eyes with a paper-like Pearl e-ink display, and has a full month of battery life.
- Amazon’s Whispersync technology lets you read and sync your library, bookmarks, notes, and highlights with the devices and platforms of your choice (Kindle, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, PC, Mac, BlackBerry, Android-based devices, and Windows Phone 7-based devices).
- Read on your Kindle, read on your tablet, read on your phone. We’ll keep track of your last page read, and make it easy.
- Access to over 775,000 books in the U.S. Kindle Store – the largest selection of the most popular books that people want to read – including New Releases and 100 of this week’s 110 New York Times Bestsellers. Choose from hundreds of thousands of books at $9.99 or less, including many New York Times Bestsellers and New Releases.
- Kindle’s Worry-Free Archive automatically backs up your Kindle library on Amazon, so your books can be re-downloaded wirelessly anytime.
- Integrated shopping experience allows you to shop without leaving the app.
- Send an email to a friend with a link to the book you’re reading or to any book in your library without leaving the app.
- Customize your reading with five different font size and three background color options.
- Read in portrait or landscape mode, and to turn pages by tapping on either side of the screen or flicking.
- Start reading the beginning of a book for free before buying and receive personalized Amazon recommendations on the home screen of your app.
Amazon Kindle has a Buy One, Read Everywhere’ feature which allows user to purchase one eBook from say their iPad and then read it later on via their Android based handset. Now, Amazon only needs to release a Kindle app for Symbian devices and a tablet version of the app for Android based tablets before their Kindle app will be available for all major OSes out there.
WP7 owners can download the app from Windows Marketplace for free.