Last year, AT&T announced the powerful HTC Vivid smartphone. This device comes with a 4.5 inch LCD qHD display as well as a 1.2GHz Snapdragon S3 processor. The HTC Vivid originally runs on the old Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) Operating System. However, last week HTC announced that HTC Vivid and 15 other smartphones will get the Android 4.0 update in the coming weeks.
We have good news for the HTC Vivid customers. AT&T has finally started rolling out the much-awaited Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) update for the HTC Vivid smartphone. The latest update comes with Beats Audio, Face Unlock, advanced voice and text input, UI improvements and much more. Check out the complete changelog after the break.
- Beats Audio – Enhance your music and video experience with Beats Audio. Whenever a media file is played using the default media players or most third-party applications, the Beats Audio indicator will appear in the notification bar. Simply tap the notification to enable or disable Beats Audio. You can also turn Beats Audio on or off in the Settings menu. Note: Beats Audio will only work when headphones or an external speaker is connected. This is to ensure the best possible audio quality.
- Face Unlock – Face Unlock is a new screen-lock option that lets you unlock your device using face recognition. It takes advantage of the device’s front-facing camera and state-of-the-art facial recognition technology to register a face during setup, and then to recognize it again when unlocking the device. Just hold your device in front of your face to unlock, or use a backup PIN or pattern.
- Improved email – Easier to send, read and manage through recipient auto-completion, stored text, and nested sub-folders. For enterprises, the Email app supports EAS v14. It supports EAS certificate authentication, provides ABQ strings for device type and mode, and allows automatic sync to be disabled while roaming. Administrators can also limit attachment size or disable attachments.
- Bluetooth Mouse and keyboard – Use a Bluetooth mouse and/or keyboard with your device and adjust its settings.
- UI Improvements – Access the notification bar on the lock screen. Drag apps/shortcuts on top of one another to create folders. New fully customizable Launch Bar at the bottom of the screen. Resizable widgets.
- Advanced Voice and Text Input – More robust and can be used to dictate an entire email. Intelligent enough to recognize pauses, breaks and punctuation. Advanced Spell Checker.
HTC Vivid owners can download and install the update directly from the phone using Wi-Fi. It is advised to backup all you data before updating the device. You should also make sure that your battery has at least 50% charge. If you find something new, please let us know in the comments section below.