Few hours after the Day 1 keynote at I/O 2012 event in San Francisco, Google has rolled out a couple of updates for its popular Google Maps and YouTube apps on Android. On the other hand, our favorite messaging service, WhatsApp for Android has received a major update. Earlier today, Google has moved the Chrome browser out of the beta status. Chrome For Android is currently the standard browser on the recently announced Nexus 7 tablet. To learn more about the new Chrome for Android, head over to this post.
Google Maps for Android:
Earlier this month, Google has showed off the offline maps support for the Google Maps on Android. This feature was already available in “Labs”, but it allowed us to download the maps for a 10-mile radius. The latest offline maps support allows us to download the maps for a larger area. This feature is useful while you are travelling in a new city and does not have access to data or Wi-Fi connection.
YouTube for Android:
Google has rolled out a new version of its popular YouTube for Android app. The latest update comes with a loads of new features. However, this update is available only for devices running on Android 3.2 (Honeycomb) and Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) OS. This updates bring a brand new UI along with a guide on the left side of the screen, which offers instant access to your subscribed channels.
It also allows you to preload your “Subscriptions” and “Watch Later” queue while you are on Wi-Fi and charging for smooth playback on the go. Other features include HD video playback for select devices running on Android 2.2 (Froyo) and Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) OS. Check out the complete changelog below.
Android 3.2+ devices: v.4.0:
- New UI: Guide on the left side of the screen with instant access to channels
- Preload videos while on WiFi and charging for smooth playback on the go
- Turn your phone into a remote, to play YouTube videos on other devices
- Access your watch History across devices
Earlier Android devices: v.2.4:
- Sign-in with Google account
- HD playback (on capable phones)
- Multiple bug fixes
WhatsApp for Android:
One of my favorite messaging app, WhatsApp for Android has also received a major update. The latest version is numbered 2.7.9736 and it brings large font size and long vibrate setting to help with accessibility, search within conversation feature, bug fixes and much more. It also allows you to add a background in a conversation from the given set of images or from the images saved on your smartphone. The complete changelog is posted after the break.
- Added search within conversation feature
- Increased the “large” font size to help with accessibility
- Add a czech translation (Thanks Rene!)
- Add a default wallpaper
- Add a “long” vibrate setting to help with accessibility
- Settings screen overhaul and improvement
- Add a “recent” tab to the share contact picker
- Lots of bug fixes and user interface improvements