Google Currents, the app which was apparently the culprit behind all the lag on the Nexus 7 and other Android devices running Android 4.2, has got a major update from Google. The v2.0 update brings with it a completely over-hauled UI for the app, along with a major improvement in the performance and stability of the app.
The app had got a slight UI makeover back at Google I/O this year, but this new update brings about a completely new UI. Google Currents now has a sidebar UI, which is slowly and steadily becoming a standard in all quality Android apps, that allows for quick access to different topics or feeds. There is also a new re-designed widget, which is much more useful at display data than the previous version. Below is the full change-log of the update -:
* Edition sidebar – quickly access your editions within categories such as business, sports, etc.
* Fast scan – Vertical swipe to scan an edition, horizontal swipe advances to next edition
* Edition-section chooser – Choose “Customize” to filter out sections
* Unread marks – Read stories are marked. (Setting to hide)
* Breaking stories – ranked by Google News. Links to full length content.
* Saved stories – star for future reference
* New catalog design
The update is already live in the Play Store and can be downloaded from here.