The team behind the popular desktop browser Firefox Mozilla has released an updated beta of Firefox for Android and Maemo. The new update brings with it number of bug fixes and features including copy/paste in URL bar and new style menus. Firefox for mobile is based on the same platform as Firefox for desktop.
Here is the list of the new features introduced in Firefox 4 Beta 3 for Android -:
- Improved support for Android keyboards, both hardware and on-screen
- New Android-style menus
- Fixed a bug in opening links from other apps
- Support for uploading files
- “Save as PDF” command in the site menu
- Fixed rendering of Arabic and Farsi text (on devices with Arabic/Farsi fonts installed)
- Firefox Sync
- New UI for simpler setup
- Support for custom Firefox Sync servers
- Full-screen open video
- Improved audio performance
- User interface
- Copy/paste in URL bar
- Search engines appear in the awesome screen as you type
- Browse recommended add-ons through the add-on manager
For developers -:
- localStorage API
- orientation events (new on Android)
- Crash reporting for crashes in web content
I had tried the previous beta of Firefox for Android and was left totally unimpressed. The application was slow, took forever to start and by the time it loaded the desktop version of Engadget on my phone I was able to finish a level of Angry Birds. I am yet to try to the new beta but I hope that the Mozilla team has solved these issues.
Android and Maemo handset(s ) owners can download Firefox for their handset from here.