If you are a Windows user, then you might have faced a situation where your windows fonts had gotten corrupted. Actually, there are many probable reasons for this issue. The first one being that you may have accidentally deleted some font file, or some program has replaced your font files and now the system is unable to read it. This can make your MS Word or PDF documents unreadable. Today, I am going to list the possible solutions for this issue.
Method 1: This will be applicable only if you already know which font file is corrupted. In this case, you simply have to remove the corrupted font and then install it again.
1. First, open the Run window by using the keys “Win+R”, in the window, type “fonts”.
2. In the Fonts window, select the font that has been corrupted and then right click it and select the option that says “delete”.
3. After deleting the font, restart the system and then download a fresh copy of the corrupted font from internet.
4. Now right click on the downloaded font and select the option “Install”.
5. After the installation is done you have to restart the system so that the font gets registered. Font registration is an automatic process which is done only after restarting the system.
6. So, after the reboot, the font will be working successfully. If it’s not working, then you can try Method 2.
Method 2: This time, we are going to restore the font’s folder to its original state, so that any changes that may have caused the font corruption will be over-written.
1. In Windows, click the Start button and navigate to Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Fonts.
2. In the Fonts window there is a “Font Settings” option in the left pane.
3. Click “Restore default font settings”; this will restore all the font settings to initial state.
4. After this, your fonts should get repaired, but if it is still not working then you should go for the third method.
Method 3: If neither of the above methods worked for you, then you can use third party software to fix your font folder. Fix Fonts Folder is a utility that locates and fixes font related problems on Windows systems (Vista and Windows 7). It scans all installed fonts and checks their integrity and their corresponding registry keys. If there are any corrupt fonts then it offers an option to fix them. You can download this utility from here: http://fix-fonts-folder.en.softonic.com/
Hopefully, one of the above methods helped. If not, be sure to comment below.
This post has been contributed by Ankit. Ankit is a tech geek and you can read more from him at Geek Revealed.