Consider a situation: Everyday you have a list of files or torrents to download at 2 AM. To do that you have to start your computer at 2 AM, download the files and then shutdown your computer. All of this requires manual intervention from your end and you might even be sleeping and miss downloading the files.
However you can wake up your computer from hibernation, perform a particular task and then shutdown your computer automatically. So if you have a large number of movie or torrent downloads or some scheduled tasks to perform on a daily basis you can automate the job using a application.
To perform the scheduled task by waking up your computer all you need is WakeupOnStandby. This Freeware (windows only) can wake up your system from hibernation and automatically perform a number of tasks and then shutdown your system. (Note : You can also set up a timer for automatic shutdown or a Sleep timer for your computer)
How it works?
With the help of this software you will be able to perform all these processes automatically, you don’t even have to start your computer as the application will take care of everything for you. Here is how you can get started using this application.
1. Install Wake up on standby and run the application.
2. Specify the time when you want to wake up your computer.
3. After that specify which program you want to run after your computer has started. You can also supply parameters to your programs after they start from wake up on standby.
4. Next you have to specify what you want to do after the specified task is completed. You can choose to start another task or you can also choose to shutdown or hibernate your computer.
5. You can repeat the tasks and the scheduling on any day of the week. Just make sure that Before hibernating your system you should run Wake-up-on-standby and keep it running in your system.
How I use Wake up on Standby and Save Internet Bandwidth
The internet plan that I am using offers free unlimited download between 2AM – 8 AM. But most of the days I sleep early.
But guess what? My computer wakes up automatically at 2 AM every night , downloads all the stuff that I had accumulated over the day and when the download is complete shuts down the system.When I wake up in the morning I have all my files in my downloads folder ready to be used.
This process saves me time, Internet bandwidth and above all allows me to have a sound sleep without worrying about the downloads and other scheduled tasks.
Other features of Wake up on Standby:
The above method is just a special case of using this application .Here are some more useful features that might be of your interest :
- Can be used to turn off, standby or hibernate your system after a specified time interval.
- Can run a file, program or open a webpage at a specified time even if your system is running. So if you check your email everyday at 5 AM just add a scheduled task in wake up on standby and forget about it.
- Can turn the Monitor on and hold off the screensaver during the waiting time that you specify.
- Can be used to repair your LAN or Internet connections upon waking up.
- It can also be executed from the command line without requiring any user to interact with it. You can also create a batch file for this application and use it later.
Wake Up on stand by works in Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP and Vista. Do you know any other application that can perform a similar job or even better? I would love to hear from you in the comments.