One of the important thing that is missing in Windows 8 from Windows 7 and Windows Vista is the start button. Old Windows users have become so accustomed to the Windows start button and menu that they found it very surprising to be missing from Windows 8.
However, getting back the Windows start button and menu in Windows 8 has now become a breeze thanks to a new application from Startdock called Start8.
Unlike an earlier Windows 8 Start button, Start8 is a free Windows 8 application which will add a fully functional Windows 8 start button which resembles the one in Windows 7.
Once you install the Start8 application the Windows key will bring up the start menu just like earlier versions of Windows instead of taking you to the Start screen. You can also search your files, apps and settings like you did in earlier versions of Windows (Read: Search files, apps and settings in Windows 8).
Start8 is definitely a good application for people who are used to the Windows start button and menu and want to continue using it till they get accustomed with Windows 8 features.
- Windows 7 style Start menu with Windows 8 enhancements
- Users can search for Windows 8-style (Metro) apps with it
- Users can pin desktop and Metro apps
- Full support for Jump Lists
- Unified Search
- Users can boot directly to the Windows 8 desktop
- Fast access to shut down, devices, music, documents, videos
- Automatically matches color to the color of the taskbar
- Start button is now skinnable
- Optionally disable the desktop “hot spots”
- Supports WindowFX 5.1 startmenu animations “currently in beta”
- The Windows 8 Start screen becomes accessible from the Start menu
- Start menu size fully configurable
- Adds option for WinKey to show fullscreen Metro desktop
Important Note: After installing Start8 clicking the Windows key will not take you to the “Start screen” and instead open the Windows start button menu. You can configure the software to change that behavior.