Yay new Minecraft beta version! With a lot of fancy things, no less! There are quite a few very cool changes that have come up in Beta v1.3 such as beds, new graphics and a new mapping version.
When I fired up my client after the update the first thing that I stared at was the world screen. The Worlds Have Been Changed!! (In other words, the save file format for the worlds have been changed) Players have to convert their old saves to the new version (wonderfully known as Scaevolus’ McRegion) which might take a while. It did so for me, of course. The best part about the new save file format is that you can name them! Previously all you had was “World 1” or “World 2”.
The maps have the new lighting system which ran buttery smoothly on my machine and made the game look super cool. The shadows are more realistic, the shading is softer andâ€¦ it just looks so pretty. The game also has the new Graphicsoption under settings and although it contains the same old Fancy/Fastgraphics settings, I’m sure there’s scope for other options in the upcoming updates.
And finally, (ignoring the redstone blocks and half-blocks) there are the beds. They’re quite cheap to construct, requiring three wool blocks and three wooden planks. The best part about them is that if you sleep in the beds at night, the game skips directly to the morning. This means no more running away from zombies, creepers, skeletons, spiders and skeletons riding spiders (*shudder). The other updates are given below:-
* Implemented a new lighting engine with the help of MrMessiahs (can be turned off)
* Changed the options around, added a new Graphics optionsbutton
* Added beds. If all players in a map sleeps in a bed during night, the game immediately skips until morning
* Added three new half-size blocks
* Added Delay/Repeater redstone dust blocks
* Added whitelisting to the server. To use, enter whitelist <cmd>where cmd is on, off, add <player>, remove <player>, listor reload
* New save file format, old maps need to be converted (that might take a while..)
* It’s now possible to have more than five save slots, and to rename saves
* Scrollbars in both the texture pack list, and in the map selection screen
* Replaced the Mojang splash image to reflect the new logo colors
* .. and a bunch of bug fixes and tweaks!