So you got that Sony PlayStation Portable as a Christmas present, but aren’t all that interested in using it like normal gamers? You want to play homebrew games games that were designed by independent developers such as Troubles of Middle Earth and Cave Story? Most of you PSP 3000 and PSPGo owners must know that most Homebrew Enablers (HEN) do not work on your system if your firmware is higher than v5.50. So, those of you on higher firmware such as v6.20 or so did not have any option to play homebrew games.
I’m here to tell you that there is a way to do that on your PSP 3000 or PSPGo. But before that, a short history lesson.
However, along came a Mr. Wololo, who along with others, creating the Half Byte Loader (HBL) that allowed users with the PSP 3000 (and eventually the PSPGo) with firmware 6.20 to play homebrew games and applications via a hacked Patapon 2 save game (a save exploit). While this was a great advancement for the PSP 3000 homebrew scene it was still not a complete enabler. It was a tedious process to run a homebrew game. You had to launch the Patapon 2 Demo, then load an exploited save file and then choose a homebrew. If, by chance you chose the wrong homebrew game, you had to go through this entire process again.
Then came a Frenchman called Total_Noob (TN). He figured out a kernel exploit (an exploit that allows you to run unsigned code directly via the XMB) that could be activated via the Half Byte Loader. In plain terms, this means that you would have to enable the exploit once via the Patapon 2 save game and until you completely shut down your PSP, you could directly launch homebrew via the normal user interface.
In effect, TN had made a HEN, now known as TN HEN.
This is what we are interested in, aren’t we?
Now that the short history lesson is done with, the beefy how-to part comes in.
Things you will need:
A PSP or PSP Go with Official Firmware 6.20 (or less).
An unpatched Patapon 2 Demo
Wololo’s crafted save for Patapon 2, HBL and TN’s HEN (the link contains all three in one archive)
Some homebrew games to play.
Things you will have to do:
1. Download the Patapon 2 Demo and place it in the PSP/GAME folder of your PSP’s memory stick. (Also make sure some other homebrew games are also in this PSP/GAME folder)
2. Unpack the HBL+HEN archive to your memory stick’s root. (Make sure all the files and folders are merged properly).
3. Run the Patapon 2 Demo from your PSP.
4. Select the HEN 6.20 save file (you will know which one it is by its logo)
5. Press the right shoulder button twice. The screen will go black and some code will start executing. Wait for it to finish. It will automatically return to the XMB interface.
6. Now run any homebrew game you want directly from the XMB.
Congratulations! You now have a homebrew enabled PSP 3000/Go!
Do leave a few comments if this method does not work for you!