KDE Software Compilation 4.5 was released a few days ago (actually 6 days to be exact). It is available for upgrade in OpenSUSE (11.1, 11.2 and 11.3).
But before we get to how to upgrade, a few of the improvements/new features in KDE SC 4.5:
- Blur Effect – KDE SC now has a new blur effect which looks awesome.
- WebKit – Now you can use WebKit in Konqueror, the default KDE browser. WebKit makes the browser much faster.
- Simplified System Settings – The tabs on the System Settings have been removed. The interface looks more simplified now.
- Monochrome Icons – The system tray now has monochrome icons. (Not all applications currently supports monochrome icons yet). It makes the system tray more visually appealing and gives more clarity.
- Windows Tiling – KWin now supports windows tiling.
- Faster and More Responsive – I have been using KDE SC 4.5 ever since the first beta and it is certainly faster and more responsive than the previous releases.
You can see the official announcement for more informations.
Warning – This is an unsupported upgrade. So problems could occur.
Now, to upgrade to KDE SC 4.5 in OpenSUSE, you need to be using atleast OpenSUSE 11.1, 11.2 or 11.3. Now, open the Konsole (ALT+F2 and type konsole) and execute the following commands:
(Change 11.3 to 11.2 or 11.1 wherever applicable.)
sudo zypper ar-f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Distro:/Factory/openSUSE_11.3 KDF
sudo zypper dup-from KDF
If you use the KDE extra repository, execute the following commands:
zypper rr http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_11.3/
zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_11.3_KDE_Distro_Factory/ KDF-extra
zypper dup --from KDF-extra