Canonical has released the first beta of the next version of Ubuntu, the Ubuntu 11.10 “Oneiric Ocelot”. The release falls in line with the Ubuntu release calendar, with the next beta release scheduled for 22nd September and the final release on 13th October, 2011.
The first beta of Ubuntu 11.10 features 3.0 branch of the Linux kernel, an updated Unity desktop interface serving as the UI shell. The Ubuntu Software Center gets an update with the addition of a top rated apps view.
New Features And Updated Packages
Some of the new features in this beta release include:
- Multiarch support: This is a big boon for users who still rely on certain 32-bit applications such as Skype and Adobe Flash Player. Multiarch makes it possible to use the 32-bit packages present in 32-bit editions of Ubuntu without the need for ia32-libs compatibility package.
- Updated kernel: The kernel is now based on the 3.0 branch of the Linux kernel. While the jump from the 2.6.x series to the 3.0 series is result of a change in the version naming convention rather than any major changes, the updated kernel has received numerous bug fixes and driver updates
- Updated DVD contents: The DVD release now stands at 1.5GB, with the available packages consisting of all the language packs, some useful applications such as Inkscape, GIMP, Pitivi, and a more complete LibreOffice suite.
- New packages: Some of the new packages include Mozilla Thunderbird as the default email client and DÃ©jÃ Dup as the default backup tool. Firefox 7.0 beta is included as the default web browser.
- Updated packages: The updated packages include Python 3.2, GCC 4.6.1, CUPS 1.5.0, Shotwell 0.11, and LibreOffice 3.4.2
- UI Updates: The beta release features some UI tweaks – including a new Alt+Tab switcher, updated visual indicators and Lenses replacing erstwhile Places, with support for multiple sources and filtering based on categories for instance.
Being still in beta I encountered quite a few crashes while using Ubuntu 11.10. I’ve reported most of them and hopefully these should be fixed by the next beta release. You can read more information about this release over at the Ubuntu Wiki.
For those interested in trying out the beta, here are the download links:
- http://releases.ubuntu.com/oneiric/ (Ubuntu, Ubuntu Server)
- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/netboot/11.10/ (Ubuntu Netboot)
- http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/oneiric/ (Kubuntu)
- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/oneiric/beta-1/ (Kubuntu DVD)
- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/oneiric/beta-1/ (Xubuntu)
- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/releases/oneiric/beta-1/ (Edubuntu)
- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/oneiric/beta-1/ (Ubuntu Studio)
- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/mythbuntu/releases/oneiric/beta-1/ (Mythbuntu)
- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/oneiric/beta-1/ (Lubuntu)