A new website dedicated for the much awaited GNOME 3 desktop was launched today by the GNOME project.
The website, GNOME 3 , with the same name as the Desktop Environment of that version, currently just lists the features that the users will experience once GNOME 3 is officially released.
- Some enticing features mentioned on the site are :
- A beautiful , sleek new design for an improved look and feel.
- Built-in Messaging system to make instant messaging quick and effortless
- Re-designed System Settings which grants more control to the user
- An improved file manager
- Dark Application Themes for when you want to focus on pictures and videos
- Ability to use Flickr images as Desktop backgrounds
Eventually, the developers plan to make all the GNOME 3 releases , which are scheduled from April 2011, through this website. Till then, they have a Try It page where you should be able to download a Live USB image soon. For the geeks, the Try It page contains a link to instructions for manually building the Gnome 3 Shell.
The FAQ section answers some basic questions that current users of GNOME 2 may have about GNOME 3′s plans , roadmaps, compatibility with older applications, links to get involved, etc.
The mockups, screenshots and the claims by the GNOME developers ,do look promising. We’ll be watching this space to see whether GNOME 3 delivers on it’s promises.