Moblin version 2.1 as been released for Intel Atom based netbooks and nettops. The Moblin Linux is best described as
an open source project focused on building a Linux-based platform optimized for the next generation of mobile devices including netbooks, Mobile Internet Devices, and In-vehicle infotainment systems.
The new version of Moblin features a lot of changes. Some of them are:
- A new browser with support for add-ons and plugins, making web-browsing experience all the more enhanced on the Moblin platform.
- Moblin 2.1 supports 3G data connections, although modem support is currently limited to certain Ericsson models.
- An enhanced application installer with proper categorization for ease of searching and selection of the right application.
- Clutter 1.0 is an animation framework released with Moblin.
- Bluetooth connections can now be managed from a new toolbar panel.
- The new connection manager supports all the latest connections namely WiMAX, 3G etc.
- Localization with regions and languages makes it a good choice across the globe.
Although the primary requirement for running Moblin 2.1 is an Intel Atom processor, other supported system specifications can be checked here.
For and more information on Moblin Linux 2.1, visit the Moblin website here.
For download of Moblin Linux 2.1, visit the download page here. The download is sized at around 750 MB.