No matter how much we hate to admit this, Oracle might just be the largest open Source Company in the world. It is true. Oracle has some of the biggest brands in the Open-Source world under its name now.
This happened with the acquisition of Sun Microsystems. The Open Source projects hosted under the banner of Sun have all come under direct handling of Oracle and include some of the most popular technologies of today like Java, MySQL, OpenOffice.org, Glassfish, Virtualbox etc.
Some of the Open Source technologies, currently being developed under Oracle are,
- MySQL: The Open Source database powering almost every website out there.
- OpenOffice.org: The best alternative to paid Office suites, available for free and full file format compatibility.
- VirtualBox: The free virtualization solution from (earlier)Sun Microsystems, now managed by Oracle.
- OpenSolaris: The Unix based OS with the best features of Solaris and compatibility with the Sparc architecture.
- Java: The enterprise development solution, a robust and developer friendly software development platform.
- Glassfish: The Open Source application server providing SaaS features, compatible with Java.
- Eclipse: Oracle plays as a board member and strategic developer with Eclipse, a development tool.
- Oracle VM: A server virtualization platform.
This list is far too small than this one, but it gives a gist of what Oracle is doing, and it looks good. It is time we start liking Oracle for what it is, and stop complaining about what it will never be.