The default Windows defragmenter is something that we avoid recommending to our readers, and in the past have told you about the best free defragmentation tools for Windows which are definitely worth using.
Just came across another useful free defragmentation tool called UltraDefrag that is pretty good and a much better alternative for defragmenting your files.
Though we have listed several alternatives earlier, the unique feature of UltraDefrag is that, it can defragment your system files at boot time. UltraDefrag also provides user with a Console application that can be run from the command prompt.
- Very fast defragmentation, the work is done via a kernel mode driver which has an optimal defragging algorithm.
- Very small engine written in pure C. Nice graphical interface – compact and functional.
- Safety, because the file moving is accomplished with Microsoft’s own Defrag API.
- Ability to generate html reports of fragmentation status.
- Ability to include/exclude files based on simple filters.
- Native x64 support.
- Free: Distributed with full source code under the GNU General Public License.