Google launched the Chrome Web Store on December 7th, 2010 at the Chrome OS conference. I have downloaded and used several of these apps on Google Chrome, many of these are really good apps and shows that the future of the web store is really bright.
However It has been almost 2 weeks since the Web store launched, so how has it performed? How many apps have are there in the web store? Which are the best selling apps? Which apps have been downloaded the most? To find answers to these questions I decided to do an analysis on how the web store has worked out and what the stats are like.
I have based this analysis on the current numbers available at the Chrome Web Store since Google has not provided users statistics about the Chrome Web Store yet.
Facts About Chrome Web Store
First of, Chrome Web Store has seen millions of downloads, with the top 15 Chrome Apps seeing over 1.5 million downloads so far. Here are some more facts about the Chrome Web Store and Apps:
- There are ~2200+ apps in the Chrome Web Store right now
- There are over ~10,500 Google Chrome Extensions and themes.
- Top 15 apps have been downloaded over 1.5 million times
- The top two most downloaded apps in the Chrome Web Store are games, and they account for almost half a million downloads
- All apps except for TweetDeck are web shortcuts
- NY Times is the only news app among the top 15 downloaded apps
- Out of the top 15 downloaded apps, 9 are Google products
- Groove Shark is the only music app in the top 15
Top 15 Apps in Chrome Web Store
The Chrome Store has several apps to choose from. I have written about quite a few of them (read about the Chrome Apps). Many of the apps are just web shortcuts, but the number of in-browser apps has been increasing. The top 15 apps on the Google Web Store currently features the following: