Canon had been waiting for the right moment to announce their next masterpiece. In order to mark the 25th anniversary of the EOS system, and after months of agonizing waiting, the company has finally revealed the highly-anticipated EOS 5D Mark III at a press launch today, along with a few other new accessories.
The all-new Canon EOS 5D Mark III is packed with a 22-megapixel full-frame CMOS image sensor that supports ISO 100 through ISO 25600 (expandable to 102,400) in standard mode. It also features a whopping 61-AF point autofocus system, and has the ability to do a 1080p full-HD video recording in 30, 25 and 24fps.
BUY/Pre-Order: Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Nikon Cameras
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Features
Here are the main features of the Canon EOS 5D Mark III -
22.3 Million Pixel Sensor
The Canon EOS 5D Mark III features a sensor with mere 22.3 million pixels, which is almost over a million pixels more than its predecessor, EOS 5D Mark II. However, this is comparatively way too lesser than its competitor’s masterpiece, the Nikon D800, which features a 36 million pixel sensor.
Although the advantages of having lesser mega pixels still remain, which not only reduces noise but also includes smaller file sizes, but this will certainly not delight consumers who were expecting a larger sensor and larger images with low sensitivity.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Autofocus
The 5D Mark III has a whopping 61 autofocus points. This is seriously a big upgrade from the Mark II, which only had 9 autofocus points along with 6 assist autofocus points. The 5D Mark II offers six AF modes: Spot, Single Point, Single Point with surrounding four points, Single Point with surrounding eight points, Zone selection and Automatic AF point selection.
The camera’s twenty one focusing points in the central area are also standard precision cross-type and effective with maximum apertures larger than or equal to f/5.6. The centre five points are ultra-high-precision diagonal cross-type points for maximum apertures larger than or equal to f/2.8. The 20 outer focusing points function as high-precision cross-type points with maximum apertures larger than or equal to f/4.0″ Canon
Design and Larger Display
Design wise, the EOS 5D Mark III is looks very much similar to the Mark II. The camera features a Magnesium alloy body with some weather sealing that is highly rigid and is designed in way to deal with different weather conditions and is dust resistance. It also has extensive gasketing around the seams for ensured protection.
Compared to the Mark II, the new 5D Mark III has a larger display with 3.2 inches in size and features an 1.04 million dot resolution, which is also higher than the 920k dot screen found on the Mark II. The camera also offers eye-level penta-prism with 100 percent coverage.
It also has some slight tweaks to its top-mounted info display and buttons on the back. The camera comes with three dual memory card slots, supporting both CF and SD cards.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Specifications – At a Glance
- Magnesium alloy body with some weather sealing. Highly rigid and is designed in way to deal with different weather conditions and is dust resistance.
- 22.12 million Image pixel full-frame CMOS sensor with image resolution of 5760 x 3840 pixels.
- 6fps top shooting rate. The 5D Mark III has two continuous-shooting modes: Continuous High (6fps) and Continuous Low (3fps)
- Optical viewfinder with 100% frame coverage and optional grid display.
- Supports ISO 100 through ISO 25600 (expandable to 102,400) in standard mode.
- A top shutter speed of 1/8000 and x-sync speed of 1/200
- 61-point AF system with 41 cross-type points
- Has an in-camera RAW converter
- HD video capture at up to 1080p/29.97fps or 720p/59.94fps with new H.264 compression options, time code embedding, and a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack.
- Accepts the new WFT-E7 802.11a/b/g/n wireless transmitter, GPS Receiver GP-E2 and Battery Grip BG-11
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Price
The Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR will go on sale at the end of March, priced at $3,499 (body-only). A kit with the EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM zoom lens will be priced at $4,299.